Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
samski611
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Please Help, dominance aggression

Hi, Im just wondering if you could offer any of your fantastic advise, we have a Siberian Husky Male, Age 5, we have had him since 8 weeks old and he has always had a fantastic personality untill 3 months ago, he has now gone into a different dog, he isnt loving anymore and never does as he is told, We starting noticing a change in his behaviour at feeding times when normally he would waiting on command for his food he now dives in the dish while it is still half way in air and if you try to remove dish he growls and shows aggression, this has now developed where he has snacked at my hand when I have had food in it and if i want him to go in his kennel for any reason like we getting coal delivered he will just stand looking at the kennel and if i try to push him in or tap his bum into the kennel he gets very aggressive and has left me shaken and dreading having to try that again.
I really dont know what to do with him, I try and take him for a walk but he takes me and he is also agressive with other male dogs.
Any advise you can offer would be great.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Our Bara is a bit like that but always has been. If this is a definite change maybe it could be due to pain, he might be ill and dogs can't tell you if they've got toothache or stomach pain can they?
samski611
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi, Thank u so much for your reply.

When he started all this behaviour, we took him to vets for a check up, everything was fine, we talked about our concerns with the vets and where told not to challenge him in anyway but sometimes you need your dog to do what you need him to do "if that makes sence"
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by samski611 View Post
Hi, Thank u so much for your reply.

When he started all this behaviour, we took him to vets for a check up, everything was fine, we talked about our concerns with the vets and where told not to challenge him in anyway but sometimes you need your dog to do what you need him to do "if that makes sence"

You do need to get your dog to do things, but you don't have to challenge them. It should be a case of them really wanting to do what you ask because they are happy to and know that there are always good rewards for them when they do so.

Not sure how you have trained him as a youngster, but, old fashioned methods such as challenging dogs, forcing them to do things e.g pushing on their bum to get them to sit, shouting commands at them, telling them off, taking their food away, yanking their leads if they pull etc etc can all wear very thin on a dog and there often comes a point when they realise their size and strength and that they do not have to put up with it any more.

Does any of this sound familiar, even if you love them?

Personally i would start to retrain using only positive methods, loads of rewards for compliance, ignoring as the only form of punishment (and used sparingly), exercise really well (using a halti harness or head collar if he is pulling you).

I think it would also be good to have a full behaviour assessment done, where they will analyse everything to do with the dog, their life and relationship with you etc and get to the bottom of things and help you redress the balance.

Please stear clear from anyone who tells you to throw water at it or shake cans at it and DO NOT TRY ANY OF CEASAR MILAN'S METHODS!

Try www.apbc.org.uk for a behaviourist and www.apdt.co.uk for a trainer in your area.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I am not a believer in `dominance` I`m afraid. I think it`s a fancy word for `ill-mannered` As Catrin says, a patient, firm, positive training regime should make it a pleasure for your dog to do what you want, while you avoid situations where he can misbehave. Why are you pushing him into a kennel? (Just asking) Why not chuck a biscuit in there then he`s rewarded when he goes in? Why is he allowed to snatch at food? Why not shut him out of the kitchen till you`re ready? It does sound like you`re a bit nervous of him, which he may be picking up on, so a Behaviourist could help you with this. Remember - it`s you that has the opposing thumbs and greater brain capacity! Out-think him!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Remember - it`s you that has the opposing thumbs and greater brain capacity! Out-think him!
Excellent ! LOL!
samski611
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi, Thank you for your replys. I proberly miss written what i ment, he was in the yard and i went out with some tip bits, as i walked out the door he jumped up and took in my hand, the food went everywhere which he was more bothered about, he did catch my finger. He has never jumped up at my hand before, he has always been patient with food, also im not trying to push him in his kennel, sorry if it seemed like that, the coal bunker is near his kennel so the coal man has the enter to yard, Skye is normally alright but a big dog and the coal man asks me to put him in his kennel before he will enter the yard, i have tried trowing in a treat and believe me, if he doesnt want to go in he will completly ignore the treat and me for that matter. I not so much nervous of him but i feel his moods are different now and im not sure why, i never know what to expect from him. I will look up a behaviourist tomorrow. I no its normally the owner who is at fault of any dogs behaviour but everything has kept the same and he seems to of gone like an old man.
Thank u again
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Please stear clear from anyone who tells you to throw water at it or shake cans at it and DO NOT TRY ANY OF CEASAR MILAN'S METHODS!
I'm not as experienced as catrinsparkles but I do agree, steer well clear of Ceasar Milans methods, I can't explain why but I just can't accept his methods. Just because he's got himself on the box doesn't make him an expert.
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Quick question - does he go in the kennel only when the coal man comes or you need him out of the way for another reason?

If this is the case it doesn't matter how many treats you chuck in there he is still going to see it as a negative thing. Maybe try working with him going into the kennel at other times when he doesn't actually need to IYSWIM. You might feel like a bit of a prat but could you spend some time sitting with him while he is in the kennel giving him lots of attention and treats for staying in there? Work on him going in, getting treats and you staying there telling him how great he is - he'll then associate it less with being locked away and more as co-operating and you praising him for it.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Google the NILIF program and MAKE him WORK for his attention, treats, dinner etc..

SIbes are very bright dogs
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >