Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Blackie has the runs

Hello,

Blackie has been having a few probs lately. For about two days he has smelt a bit off - if you know what I mean, but his poo's have been ok, but this morning he had 3 poo's altogether the first two ok but then the runs. He still smells a bit (holding my nose) I haven't changed his meat or treats, the only thing he hasn't had is a usual serving of grass, he eats a lot of that. So has anyone any suggestions of what I can do?

He seems bright enough in him self just smelly.

Ian
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Well here is advice given to me, when Luna had (still has ocsionaly the runs..

Fast him for 24 hours and if he keeps having the runs feed him rice (boiled too long) and boiled chicken or white fish (Luna loves the fish)

I'll let Mini, SB, Thordell, Becs and all other experts come with more tips for you

Poor ickle Blackie
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=bellaluna]Fast him for 24 hours and if he keeps having the runs feed him rice (boiled too long) and boiled chicken or white fish (Luna loves the fish)

I thought that might be the answer, but how am I going to resist them eye? I know I have too but thought someone might have something else up there sleeve.

He won't eat rice, although he will eat the chicken, must be freshly cooked once it cools he won't have it. Who would have dogs!....ME!

Ian
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Sorry to hear about Blackie Ian and if you haven't changed anything, then I'm sure it's something he's picked up that he shouldn't as that's what I get with mine when they've done that. Jeanette is right about the boiled fish and rice or chicken as it's so easy for them to digest and once the "nasty" has gone through I'm sure he will be ok, well I hope that's all it is anyway.

Btw, the smell bit, have you got down there armed with rubber gloves, bowls of warm water (bit of shampoo in it) and cleaned all the fur around his bottom, as it's the runny stuff sticking to the fur that's caused the smell, and it will linger for ages if you don't wash it off - been there! Hope he gets better soon.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
when mine have runny doings i always mix in dried porridge oats with there dry food dont give it wet what ever is in the porridge acts as a binder when our lambs have the scours we always give them dry porridge oats and this was recommended by our farm vet it always works on my boys
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
I thought that might be the answer, but how am I going to resist them eye? I know I have too but thought someone might have something else up there sleeve.

He won't eat rice, although he will eat the chicken, must be freshly cooked once it cools he won't have it. Who would have dogs!....ME!

Ian
Uhm Ian

I have a lab..... I know how those eyes work.. And yes its hard, but I stood strong
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Unless they are unwell with it, I don't starve mine for 24 hours as I think it helps to push the "nasty" through if that's what it is, but that's just my own personal opinion!! If they are unwell with it, then I tend to go to the vet who would always tell me to starve for 24 hours, so that's what I do.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2005, 05:16 PM
The idea of the rice (or oats as BM says) is that thay are starch and help to 'bind things' boiled mashed potato does the same thing and is good with some dog though not all are ok with it. Fish and chicken are bland and contains little fat to agrevate the situation ..Ian Blackie may have eaten something he should not have or may have an infection, make sure he has water though best not to drink a lot in one go...in this case if he has not been sick I would not starve him for long..and see the vet if it does not clear up soon
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone,

I think he has always had a dodgy tummy and that is why he eats a lot of grass, but at the moment in the garden there isn't any that he wants. I have checked his rear end ( wearing gas mask ) and he is clean - he is an very clean dog if you know what I mean, he is sending out soo much gas, even the neighbour next door smelt him in there garden when he passed some!!!

The only thing that I know he has had which he doesn't usually get was a Dentarask, yesterday, it might have upset him, although he has smelt a bit for a few days, I wonder if that has pushed out whatever was causing the problem.

What I might do tonight is forget to give hime his tray of ceasar and just give him his biscuit treats - includes some charcoal ones. (I might not get to sleep though)

Ian
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Pumpkin is good for runny tummys and strangely enough constipation! It work for either! Fresh or tinned I think. Tinned would be easier but make sure it's not got sugar added. I'm not even sure if you can get in in the UK.....not much help am I?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >