Our sister sites
Rhustie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Handsome lad
One thing imo is he is carrying a bit too much weight for his age
I told Bill you thought he might be packing a few more pounds than he should be, and that if the vet agrees it may mean cutting his daily food intake down a notch or two.
Although he spoke no words in return, his face said it all so i snapped you a quick picture

NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2011, 05:54 PM
He's gorgeous. I won't repeat the exercise advice given, but just wanted to say i didn't think he looked overweight? In the laid down pics i can see where his ribs are - the stood one is an odd angle but again doesn't look bad. Sure your vet will tell you anyway! He's lovely
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Ha ha brill pic!!!

Peeps may disagree but there are not many breeds that should be that weight at 6 months of age....bones are soft and still developing,he should look like a gangly puppy rather than a full grown dog!.

Also only one vet I've worked with in 19 years was anygood at dogs weights ,most havnt a clue they leave that up to us vn's
k9walkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Rhustie View Post
Hi, wondering if a trip to the vets is necessary...
Had our 6 month old Akita x Mastiff out for a very long walk yesterday, and he seemed fine afterwards. Had him out again later on in the evening and he had slowed down somewhat towards the end of our trundle.
Having got him home, he collapsed and had a good hours sleep before being fed. He ate fine, and went for a good lay down again.
Before bed, he was let out for his last wee's and poo's etc, then normally he would come into the house and go to bed...
I had shouted him and left the door open expecting him to come in as he usually does, but he didn't, he just stayed in his kennel. I went to coerce him out, but he seemed quite stubborn, so i propped him up on his front legs assuming he was just being a tired obnoxious little man, and figured that by getting the ball rolling he'd soon do the rest on his own, he didn't. I put my arms in towards his back end and propped him up there too, he let out a little cry.
He went inside after a couple more seconds, but his back legs moved outwards and round to come forward as oppose to bending at the joints to come forward, seeming very very stiff!
This AM i had intended to call the vets to book an appointment for tomorrow, but only the emergency vet is available and she cannot book future appointments.
He seems to be much less stiff this AM, and i have run his legs through their normal motion (hand under paw bringing up towards the side of the belly) without any difficulty, crys, or unusual stiffness.

Is it possible that he simply has/had stiff legs from the running around he did yesterday? It was quite a long walk and he did get himself a little excited at points!
I'm considering seeing how he progresses over the next day or two, and if the stiffness persists, taking him to the vets asap.
I'm dreading such things as hip dysplasia and early onset arthritis!

Thanks
If your worried about hip dysplasia you should have got a pup from hip scored parents and you shouldn't take a large breed puppy for long walks either
Rhustie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi guys, been to the vets this AM as we managed to shift some timings around.
The vet put his stiffness down to being overworked at his young age, and advised us to shorten his walk time to 30mins per walk. He went on to say that if we wanted to we could walk him 10 times a day, just so long as each walk wasn't in excess of 30 mins; this being said, i think we'll just stick to his AM & PM walk for now
The vet suggested we get an x-ray done in the next couple months to see if hip-dyslpasia is evident, and gave us some very helpful advice as to how this can be managed and treated.
He gave us some anti-inflamatories and instructed that we see how Bill fairs after a day or two on them.
All in all, a positive outlook. The vets primary concern was the angle of Bill's 'hocks', he suggested that they seemed very upright, and that they should more closely resemble a 50-70 degree angle to the floor. Bill's are around the 80-85 degree angle. The vet suggested that this may the cause of his apparent stiff walking, and that with time this may blend out, but we should keep a close eye on him in the mean time.

Re his weight, the vet suggested that his weight was ideal. I mentioned that some people had commented on him possibly being a chubster, the vet laughed and remarked on Bill being an Akita x Mastiff and that he would look huge to many, but surely was not and was instead at a perfect size.

Anyhow, i'll keep updates coming if their are any significant developments, and thank you all for the advice, you've been very helpful!

Originally Posted by k9walkies View Post
If your worried about hip dysplasia you should have got a pup from hip scored parents and you shouldn't take a large breed puppy for long walks either
I am concerned about hip-dysplasia, although this was not a concern to us when getting Bill as we have not had dogs of the giant variety before. Now that i can consider myself well and truly informed of this issue, i will surely keep my eyes open in the future.
Thank you for the friendly advice...
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Akitas and Chows have very straight hocks. I actually noticed that right away in your pics and thought to myself oh yeah, there's the Akita! LOL

We get a ton of Chow mixes off the first nations reserves we rescue off of, and they often have those straight hocks.

Odd that your vet didn't know that
Rhustie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Akitas and Chows have very straight hocks. I actually noticed that right away in your pics and thought to myself oh yeah, there's the Akita! LOL

We get a ton of Chow mixes off the first nations reserves we rescue off of, and they often have those straight hocks.

Odd that your vet didn't know that
Hmm, thanks for this it's been a great help! I don't suppose that the straight legged walk (almost as though the knees don't bend) is an Akita trait is it?
His knees do bend, without any difficulty, but he seems to choose....not to...weird little ****** he is
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I think the straight hocked dogs tend to walk with a more stiff-legged gait, but you'd have to ask an expert, I just know this from trying to peg breeds in rez dogs LOL
Rhustie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Yeah, I think the straight hocked dogs tend to walk with a more stiff-legged gait, but you'd have to ask an expert, I just know this from trying to peg breeds in rez dogs LOL
I'm loving this news, probably because it offers some escapism to what may be a dismal outcome, but still, the optimism is well and truly there
Thanks again for this, i'll keep it in mind and see how Bill develops over the next few months with much shorter walks. I'll make a note to bring this to the attention of the vet next time Bill goes for his visit, hopefully it's just something that slipped the vets' mind

Time to go all obsessive compulsive on you tube and watch videos of Akitas walking around
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3