Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Broken/rough fur around neck

Cain's fur around his neck has a band off rough/broken fur. He's always had this since he arrived here. What causes this? I guessed it was just down to his collar. The other day someone noticed it as asked if I used a choke chain on him, which of course I don't! He's always worn flat material collars since we've had him. They suggested that he may have had a choke chain used on him when he was younger (I could believe that ) and that it damaged the fur so much that it'll never grow right. I'd have thought if that had happened, that once he shed his hair he would grow normal hair. It just got me thinking, what causes the rough fur?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't know what causes it, but Georgie has rough fur around his neck area, very coarse compared to the rest of his coat and he's always had it. I use half checks on my dogs, coz I think they sit better to let the air in, although I'm sure that's what causes Zena's knotty ears, can't win!

Do you only use the collar when out or does he wear it all the time? If all the time, then try taking it off after a walk, it could improve?We only wear collars for walks here. Maybe you're not washing/cleaning it enough and the scurf is rubbing on his fur? Mine get quite manky from Georgie so his is always getting washed but that's not surprising with his skin problems.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks Helen We only put his collar on for walks generally, and even if he does wear it over the daytime, he always has it taken off at night. The collar gets washed very regularly as he's such a muck magnet and swims in the stinky river so much

Moon used to have the same, but he was tethered on a chain with a metal hoop around his neck which I assumed caused it. I wasn't sure how common it was with "normal" dogs who wear normal collars.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Casper and Kiki have it, they wear regular flat 1" nylon collars. I keep meaning to find some nice martingale style collars to see if that helps but I don't really like the style most come in (the paisley etc.), I saw some nylon ones I liked but only in the USA! May see if the people I'm ordering some longlines from can make similar. I could go for half-check chains but I feel a bit wary as I hate to think someone would mistake it for a choke chain - not that I'm worried that they'll judge me, more than it will spread the message that choke chains are the right equipment for my breeds.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
That is why fursavers were invented, so that the fur was not broken.

My GSD only wears a collar when he is out, and you can use a fursaver/choke chain on the DEAD link so it acts as a NORMAL collar and not as a CHOKE chain.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
I looked up fur savers but they just look too much like choke chains for me I understand that with the dead link in, they are not, but general Joe Public won't know that. People already jump to judgements and think he's a big tough status dog without them assuming he's on a choke chain too...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I use a loose half-check on GSDs because of this. The ruff gets damaged if anything rubs it.
Daisy`s is bright pink. I don`t think anyone could mistake it for a choke chain.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:01 AM
It really does not bother me what other people think, it is what I think that matters, and if I want my dog to wear a fursaver in order to prevent damage to his neck ruff I will.

You cannot stop other people having opinions!

I suppose my GSD could be thought of as a "status dog" by those that think that way. Who cares?!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I think my status when wandering along with my lot is probably `mad-dog-lady.....`
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
His previous owners probably kept a collar on him at all times.

Rolled leather collars won't mark the neck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >