Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Undescended Testicles.....?

When I first met Dexter at the rescue, I was told that he had been neutered. I assumed this was true and it never occurred to me to question it.

Two days after I brought him home, I took him to the vet just for a check-up. The vet remarked that for a neutered dog it was 'interesting' that he had remained so slim. She mentioned the possibility that he was NOT neutered - but said it was really unlikely and only an X - ray could determine this for sure.

I contacted the rescue that day and asked them to confirm - in an email - that Dex WAS neutered. They did and seemed to have the actual date of the neutering (which I found a bit odd given that his first owner had dumped him in the pound with not even a collar on, yet had apparently also left a bit of paper with the date when his vaccs were again due and the date of the neutering).

So I put it out of my mind - until just recently. Dex has started trying to hump one of his canine pals - I know this can be from over excitement though and/or play dominance etc (thanks to those of you that answered this in another thread!)

I asked our dog trainer what she thought though - and she then said it's not unusual for certain breeds including Labs & GSDs to have two undescended testicles.....??

So I suppose I'm really just asking for your thoughts here today. I don't really want Dex to have X - rays BUT of course if necessary, so be it. I know there's a real risk of disease later on if a dog has an undescended testicle so presumably if a dog has two, it increases the risk.

Also - I can see two tiny scars (?) in the relevant area, wouldn't that be from the neutering???

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, your feedback very welcome!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
When I first met Dexter at the rescue, I was told that he had been neutered. I assumed this was true and it never occurred to me to question it.

Two days after I brought him home, I took him to the vet just for a check-up. The vet remarked that for a neutered dog it was 'interesting' that he had remained so slim. She mentioned the possibility that he was NOT neutered - but said it was really unlikely and only an X - ray could determine this for sure.

All my neutered dogs have remained slim, neutering a dog does not make it fat, it merely slows the metabolism and thus requries less food. As quantities are in the control of the owner this is not an issue.

I have seen one of your posts re your dog when you said the vet thought he could lose some weight, he does not look particularly slim to me.

I contacted the rescue that day and asked them to confirm - in an email - that Dex WAS neutered. They did and seemed to have the actual date of the neutering (which I found a bit odd given that his first owner had dumped him in the pound with not even a collar on, yet had apparently also left a bit of paper with the date when his vaccs were again due and the date of the neutering).

So I put it out of my mind - until just recently. Dex has started trying to hump one of his canine pals - I know this can be from over excitement though and/or play dominance etc (thanks to those of you that answered this in another thread!)

I asked our dog trainer what she thought though - and she then said it's not unusual for certain breeds including Labs & GSDs to have two undescended testicles.....??

It is not unusual for ANY breed to be a unilateral or bilateral cryptorchid!

So I suppose I'm really just asking for your thoughts here today. I don't really want Dex to have X - rays BUT of course if necessary, so be it. I know there's a real risk of disease later on if a dog has an undescended testicle so presumably if a dog has two, it increases the risk.

Also - I can see two tiny scars (?) in the relevant area, wouldn't that be from the neutering???

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, your feedback very welcome!!
You do not need an x ray, a blood test will identify any testosterone levels in the system..............
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You do not need an x ray, a blood test will identify any testosterone levels in the system..............

Thanks SMOKEY BEAR - so a blood test will resolve this issue up for sure?

Dex may not look that slim in the pictures but I guess when he first came to me he was very skinny, hence the vet's comment. Also compared to the other Labs in our local area he is very slim as they all - thus far - seem to be the more 'typical' show type, far more stocky etc.

Blinking vet - wish she'd told me that a blood test could answer this 100%.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:21 PM
also a note on the x-ray front. admittedly i only have basic knowledge of x-rays and human anatomy currently. but x-ray's are not designed, for the most part, to show soft tissue and even on specific exposures, making out even major organs can be awkward, never mind testicles that are still within the body.

just after a bit of information on how having an x-ray would help, i cant fathom it at the minute
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
also a note on the x-ray front. admittedly i only have basic knowledge of x-rays and human anatomy currently. but x-ray's are not designed, for the most part, to show soft tissue and even on specific exposures, making out even major organs can be awkward, never mind testicles that are still within the body.

just after a bit of information on how having an x-ray would help, i cant fathom it at the minute

Thank you very much. Must say I am now becoming concerned that the vet told me only an x ray would reveal if Dex did have undescended testicles.

Thankfully there are other vets at this practice so I think from now on I will ensure our appointments are with them for a while.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
If the testes are undescended then they may not be functioning properly so may not be producing testosterone. Usually they use an ultrasound scan to detect whether they are there or not.
Being slim is not a sign that they haven't been neutered, I only have one neutered fatty but her weight went up and down when she was entire so I don't put that down to her being spayed.
If you are really worried ask for an ultrasound.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Most bilateral cryptorchid are infertile, not all but most. Id ask for an ultrasound. None invasive, no sedation. If a dog is infertile Im not sure how much hormone would be present.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If the testes are undescended then they may not be functioning properly so may not be producing testosterone. Usually they use an ultrasound scan to detect whether they are there or not.
Being slim is not a sign that they haven't been neutered, I only have one neutered fatty but her weight went up and down when she was entire so I don't put that down to her being spayed.
Becky
SNAP!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky

Many thanks

I will indeed be asking for one
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
If they are not producing testosterone then the question is moot as of course this will not be causing the dog to hump!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >