Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Have you tried playing tug and when she has a good grip releasing the tug slowly so she leans back?

I will have to watch this one as we already do this...

The command I use for my guys is Stretch.
Now, that sounds a possibility

We do play tug. Knowing Hoki she'll only associate the command with when she's got a rope in her mouth, but I'll certainly give it a go this way
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Now, that sounds a possibility

We do play tug. Knowing Hoki she'll only associate the command with when she's got a rope in her mouth, but I'll certainly give it a go this way
It took Tass a while to get the idea...we started off with a completely different command 'Ready' as I always said that before the tug game commenced...so it became a signal to play bow.

I also noticed someone mention the holding the treat between the front legs.

Try keeping the treat at nose level....pull the treat forward slightly so the dog extends its neck to reach it and then go in a diagonal line towards the dogs pastern. Try not to hit the floor. The idea is to keep the dog in a straight line so I always find it useful to stand face on to them and have the treat in my hand under the thumb palm towards.

Good luck
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
It took Tass a while to get the idea...we started off with a completely different command 'Ready' as I always said that before the tug game commenced...so it became a signal to play bow.

I also noticed someone mention the holding the treat between the front legs.

Try keeping the treat at nose level....pull the treat forward slightly so the dog extends its neck to reach it and then go in a diagonal line towards the dogs pastern. Try not to hit the floor. The idea is to keep the dog in a straight line so I always find it useful to stand face on to them and have the treat in my hand under the thumb palm towards.

Good luck
I've tried the lure in various ways without success, including what you've suggested. But out of interest, what sort of speed do you do this at? I've tried varying speeds, but with no luck
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh cool I havent tried this at all with Mia yet and didnt bother with more than luring Ben so I will deff give this one a go

Is that a week gone already - I guess the dogs will be happy - they were getting dizzy
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I've tried the lure in various ways without success, including what you've suggested. But out of interest, what sort of speed do you do this at? I've tried varying speeds, but with no luck
Very slow...if the dog has issues with turning I will start with just rewarding for the stand straight, then for a slight lean etc. Once the dog realises that it is getting rewarded for the lean it usually progresses very quick...however - once the dog relaises that this is whats wanted they will often take it to the next stage and rush into a down
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I have started this in the past with Daisy, so I`ll continue with her. I fear it is a step too far for Shamus who says can we have one for finding pheasants one week please `cos his brain hurts?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have started this in the past with Daisy, so I`ll continue with her. I fear it is a step too far for Shamus who says can we have one for finding pheasants one week please `cos his brain hurts?
Cava says he agrees with Shamus only he'd rather have lounging on the settee
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Whilst I am enjoying thinking about all you lots teaching these ''trick of the week''.....any pics after you have taught them....or video's
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Steph - I gavwe up on the video idea when my MOm's camera packed up. And to eithe rtry to take a piccie of myself getting the dogs to perfomr or asking Oscar to take the photo is asking for trouble (you ever seen a 2-legged collie use a camera??)

Laura xx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:51 PM
OH YES! One that mine do not know, no idea how i'm going to get them to do it yet though but should be interesting!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >