View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Every place you look, is contradicting somewhere else - thats why it's so confusing!

A lot of websites i've been on have said to feed veggies.
I joined a list, and got quite rude people telling dogs don't need any veggies, they said vets don't know anything if they tell you they do.

They also said Teagan shouldn't be on treatment for mange, cos it will go away it's self - but she's had it for about 4 months, so I doubt it will go away!

I'm going to carry on with the veggies - it's not going to harm my dogs, and Teagan loves them!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 04:15 PM
alfie loves them too,just writing up the colum for you hevvur-might take a little while...
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 04:18 PM
well I feed mine veggies too and they love em - although the after effects arent very fragrant
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Tell me about it Lel

My lot had liver today and boy!! am I suffering for it now
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I can imagine ( she says with a peg on her nose)
Annestaff
Supervisor

25-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Cann't wait to de-s**t the garden tomorrow
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 04:33 PM
I haven't done my garden for ages!! It's like a poop bin! lol
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Here goes -it starts by talking about fads (clicker training,feeding etc..."Most are excellant,several are overused,some are batty and a few are downright dangerous,rarely are they fatal with the exception of the raw meat diet.In my pratice i see lots of puppiesi also get to see the breeders feedingrecommendations and these follow fads like there is no tomorrow.howeverthe recommendation to feed raw meat including chicken wings,beef,lamb pork and tripe is positively life threatning.the additives,antibiotics,preservitives and toxicity in raw meats are terrifying.we all know about salmonella in chicken but who has heard of neosporosis canium ?or anthelmintics ?With regard to raw tripe,cattle are now being routinely wormed with a fairly potent concentration of anthelmintics,usually fenbendzol,this is administered via a blolus which sits in the stomach and breaks down over selected periods of time into regulated doses.I wonder what the concentration of the anthelmintic in the tripe is if the animal is slaughtered shortly after a release of the dose from the bolus.I certainly feel that the concentration may be too much for small dogs and pups to cope withRaw chicken is another concern,the amount of antibiotics pumped into them could surely have a culminative effect when fed to dogs over a period of time.possibly creating a situation whereby our pets become immune to the antibiotics from our vets,resulting in enormous problems in post operative or preoperative treatments.I have recently seen a rise in the recommendation to feed both pups and adult dogs on human grade lean raw mince.the thinking is, that if its good enough for human consumption then it is good enough for dogs,Neosporosis canium,a parasite that affects the brain and then works its way up the spinal cord,muscles and major organs is a fairly recent discovery,up until1988 it was misdiagnosed as toxoplasma gondii.It is almost always fatal and if your pet survives it will leave it blind,brain damaged and paralysed.A recent case resulted from feeding some fresh raw mince bought from a leading u k supermarket .the owner,an experienced dog breeder,watched billy a 16 mth old pedigree boxer,deteriate from a happy healthy pet to a disorientated,blind paralysed wreck in just one week.Dogs trust vet director said-its a pretty horrible parasite.the simple way to avoid it is to cook meat-never feed it to your animals raw.most people do not realise it's extremely dangerous,you must always cook the meat you or your animals eat.The boxers owner is now determined to get the food law on labelling changed-and has already spoken to her mp,she said i really think it's something that needs to be addressed.there needs to be something obvious to warn people not to feed raw meat to their pets,to prevent more tradgedies like this.in reply the supermarket spokeswoman said "our meat is only meant for human consumption and should always be cooked,we label our products very clearly for humans.we have done alot of research into what it says on the label and we are happy that they say everything that is needed".Tell that to the bill.Apart from the life threatning elements of feeding raw meat there is also the behavioural element,overdosing on protein affects behaviour to similar to constantly feeding oats to a horse and then expecting it to be a quiet and sedate ride.My recommendation ! Stick to a quality dry food not the latest fad and you can't go far wrong.
PHEW !!! sorry it took ages,spilt tea all over the keyboard when i was halfway through.this is i think stan rawlinsons view i should point out and not nesscerelly(i know i spelt it wrong! )that of "our dogs.
Annestaff
Supervisor

25-11-2004, 05:39 PM
WOW!! quite a post Tink, thanks for that.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2004, 05:43 PM
after recently changing indie to raw food from James Wellbeloved, and more recently Burns. She refused to eat normal dog food and also was constantly biting her legs and stuff.

After changing her over to raw, she is eating well, her fur is really soft and she doesnt bite herself anymore. Id also like to say shes not as hyper but i think it could be debateable! lol. oh and she poops alot less!

I know im jus starting out, so there will be other things to learn yet.

When i feed indie, she has a fair sized bowl, which i aim to cover the bottom of at least, i dont measure anything out, but shes not fat or too thin. She also gets fed twice a day.

Indie wont eat meat on the bone at the moment, somethin we will need to work on. And shes only just started eating chicken, but only if its cooked for now.

So this is what she gets: (im gradually tryin new things with her)

she will get 3/4 meat and 1/4 veg in each meal, some people say to feed seperate, others not. but indie wont eat veggies on their own. I also sometimes add raw egg yolk to every other meal.

For meat at the moment, very picky eater here, gets either chicken cooked off a chicken leg, obv she doesnt get the cooked bone or beef trimmings, cut up into small pieces.

Veg wise i mostly liquidise down carrots, cabbage, turnips etc and mix it with the meat. Every now and then i liquidise down an apple excluding pips and skin,

Twice a week she will either get heart or liver. Which i cook at the moment cos she wont eat raw, for this meal sometimes i make it into a stew addin a very small amount of gravy and mix in the liquidised veg. But otherwise its jus plain and with veg.

She also gets marrow bones.

shes recently gone off fish, but i was adding in half a tin of sardines or tuna in oil into her meals.

I have also tried her on rabbit, but i cudnt find any off the bone, so i tried her on a whole rabbit taking off the legs and feeding raw, but as i said she wont eat raw meaty bones, so i gave up and the rabbit went in the bin.

Are u allowed to feed dogs pasta and rice? ive heard not?
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »