Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Broken tooth.......help !!!

I have just noticed that my 5 month old daschund has broekn one of her little front teeth. She has playing rather roughly with our baby border and I guess has had an accident.

Half the tooth is still in the gum and it looks a little red and sore. My question is, should I take her to the vet or should I leave it and let nature takes its course.

With my two new puppies at the house and a skin problem that my griffon suffers from I have been to the vets about 4 times in the last two weeks. I don't want to waste their time but I don't want to neglect a problem either.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Em.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Emm your puppy will be in the middle of teething at the moment, are you sure what you are seeing is not a gap left by the shedding of a deciduous puppy tooth and the new adult tooth emerging underneath
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Emm your puppy will be in the middle of teething at the moment, are you sure what you are seeing is not a gap left by the shedding of a deciduous puppy tooth and the new adult tooth emerging underneath
GOOD QUESTION !!! To be honest I am not sure. The piece of tooth that is visible does not in fact feel sharp (as thouht it had been broken) but it is sch a small piece it is not easy to tell. The breeder did tell us that she ha already lost and replaced all her puppy teeth but I cannot say for sure if this is the case.

Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 02:09 PM
at what age did you buy her ?
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
at what age did you buy her ?
She is five months old and has only been with us since last Saturday.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Emma Rose I can't be sure, but it looks to me as if she has lost a "puppy tooth" I thought Mack had lost all of his ages ago, but he recently lost his last one

His seemed to pop out whilst playing with Meg mostly.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 06:03 PM
have you looked at her other teeth? are all her adult one's through? or are they in various stages?
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
From the photo, she has still got a puppy canine tooth and at 5 months she should still be teething. So the chances are that a puppy tooth is under her pillow waiting for the fairies to bring her a silver sixpence !!

Thalice-Malice
10 yr old English Setter with all her own teeth !