Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elmotronic
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2006, 07:36 PM

Westies coat clipped or plucked?

Having never owned a Westie before I am on a new learning curve with my dog Elmo. He is five months old now and his coat is very shabby (cute but shabby). I do brush him myself but I really don't know what to do with his coat? Some people say that grooming and too much pampering can start of skin problems whcih makes me not want to take him to a doggy parlour. Others say that the breed should be hand plucked, or clipped and I am just not sure what to do? I can see me pulling my own hair out before long...... Any advice out there?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Hand stripped, definately hand stripped. You will ruin the coat texture if it is clipped making it soft and fluffy instead of hard and weatherproof.

Book him into a grooming parlour and specify exactly what you want, if they can't or wont do it the way you want, take him elsewhere, but don't let them near him with the clippers.

It will cost a little more to begin with, but it's worth it in the long run.

Dawn R.
Elmotronic
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for replying - thought I had been outed for being a new member! Hee hee
I have no problem with the cost as I want only the best for him.
I have heard nightmare stories about these parlours making the dogs look awful! I hope they don't ruin my pooch.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree definately handstripped!My old school friend has just had a westie pup which I have claimed all grooming rights over,I will NOT be letting her have her clipped she is too cute.I stripped her when she first had her as the coat was coming away so easily I tidied her up and funnily enough I did her again this morning,the difference in her is unreal they grow up so fast!Anyway her coat now is coming through beautifully and although it wasn't properly ready to give I tidied her up well and wil do a full handstrip next time I see her.It is definately better for the coat (unless you are having him 'done') and you could also have the option of showing him if that ever appealed to you?There are so many pros toward handstripping in my opinion but whatever you decide,find a good groomer and he'll look well either way.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:35 PM
It also depends on if the coat is of the right texture for handstripping too, seems alot of westies I've come across have very soft coats (un neutured/spayed dogs might I add)
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Me again!!!

Are you in touch with Elmo's breeder? Could they show you how to hand-strip? Or get in touch with the breed club, and I bet there are some members near you who would be only too pleased to help you get started.

It really is worth hand-stripping for a number of reasons:

1. The dog looks like it should do, matte white coat, not glossy as clippered westies end up
2. It stays waterproof, which makes the dog less likely to get chills
3. It keeps clean, westies like dirt as much as the next dog, and you want it to come off with just brushing!
4. Properly stripped westies barely moult
5. Properly stripped westies don't get smelly
6. Losing that undercoat keeps their skin cool, and seems to minimise the risk of skin reactions
7. It's not that hard to pick up, and can be quite a soothing process (for you and your dog!)

Have fun!
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Yep have to agree, handstripping can be very therapeutic for you aswell as being very beneficial for the dog
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
It also depends on if the coat is of the right texture for handstripping too, seems alot of westies I've come across have very soft coats (un neutured/spayed dogs might I add)
I know what you mean,there are a few 'fluffy coated' westie breeders round here,like its something they've achieved and are proud of their dogs incorrect coat.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 10:02 PM
This is how white hand-stripped westies look:

metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2006, 09:09 PM
doesnt it hurt the dog sounds a bit sore
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >