View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Puppy play fighting with older dog. Is this rough play ok?

To start with Daisy the Westie was running off every time Barney the Puppy tried to play, but after one week she is standing her ground.

Do you think this rough play is good & healthy fun or should I step in earlier?

They are like this the whole time they are together, so I filmed it for your opinions.

Obviously I want to avoid any chance of it turning into aggression and also Barney is going to be 7 or 8 times the weight of daisy so the play will change I should think.

It's a long video to give you a good idea of the situation

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2013, 03:23 PM
That all looks quite tame to me and they both seem to be enjoying it. You want to see my Pug pup tormenting the Dobermanns. All I would say is that I would interrupt them from time to time to make sure they do stop when told and to give them something else to do. Dogs don't see size the way we do and their play will no doubt evolve as your pup grows. That tap dancing on the laminate would drive me bonkers though so I'd put a big bit of non slip vet bed down and it might help with the pup sliding about too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Shane, if they are both wagging their tails I'd say it's ok, however if I felt it was getting a bit too rough I would tell them to take it 'easy'. Also, Daisy, being the older dog may want time out sooner than the Barny - so I'd keep an eye out for her having had enough too.

They seemed pretty good in your vid, and I can see what you mean about it looking a bit rough, so I might want to encourage more gentle play by saying 'easy' in an appropriate tone when I felt it was getting a bit rough.

I would definitely consider some rugs for the lounge though - laminate is a slip magnet for dogs, and could end in injury.
TazJas
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2013, 03:40 PM
It's lovely to see them playing so well together, it doesn't look rough at all.
I too have laminate and have put rugs down as our pup slides on it and falls over, we bought some non-slip vet bedding but it ends up all over the place. Yesterday my new rubber backed rug arrived for the front room doorway as the runner was had down was always crumpled up!! Laminate is rather slippery isn't it!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2013, 03:53 PM
As long as Daisy is okay with it I think it's fine. Pups can learn so much from older dogs - discipline, what's appropriate etc.
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
was up shane it dosint look rough to me you should see how my 2 pitbulls play thire alot more louder and wild but never too rough as long as thire tails are wagging i think its fin
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Looks all pretty normal and dare I say it "tame " to me, both are having fun, but just like children , you have to interrupt sometimes, before it gets out of hand.

I doubt it will turn into aggression, but bare in mind , pup is going to be 3times the size Daisey, so get him used to the off switch sooner than later.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Shane, that looks like just play to me. My two played like that non-stop too and I would often get splatters of blood around where their sharp teeth had caught an ear. My two were also far far rougher with each other.

I would only step in if it goes on for so long that Daisy has had enough. Daisy clearly has good bite inhibition because she is being very patient with Barney who will still have teeth like needles. What Barney needs is for Daisy to snap at him if she has enough and then he'll learn when enough is enough. Dear Daisy just looks so patient.

But what they are doing is play

We have shiny stone flooring in our kitchen and I invested in some cheap rubber backed rugs (which are washable). I would be wary of Barney hurting himself with all the sliding around. We still have them down now as they still go crazy chasing each other (they are nearly 2 yrs old) as I don't want to put our lovely pale wool rug back yet in case they wreck it.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Shane, that looks like just play to me. My two played like that non-stop too and I would often get splatters of blood around where their sharp teeth had caught an ear. My two were also far far rougher with each other.

I would only step in if it goes on for so long that Daisy has had enough. Daisy clearly has good bite inhibition because she is being very patient with Barney who will still have teeth like needles. What Barney needs is for Daisy to snap at him if she has enough and then he'll learn when enough is enough. Dear Daisy just looks so patient.

But what they are doing is play

We have shiny stone flooring in our kitchen and I invested in some cheap rubber backed rugs (which are washable). I would be wary of Barney hurting himself with all the sliding around. We still have them down now as they still go crazy chasing each other (they are nearly 2 yrs old) as I don't want to put our lovely pale wool rug back yet in case they wreck it.
Thanks, at what age did your 2 stop being so full on?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Thanks, at what age did your 2 stop being so full on?
Try into double figures
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >