Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Reactive dog and car window shades

Casper reacting at dogs when we drive past was an issue we were slowly getting over - generally he would just maybe have a bit of a whine now. However, Kiki's thyroid issues have set off a bit of reactivity and although she's improved loads of walks, it does seem to be an ongoing problem in the car. If she's set off, often Casper will join in, so it's not a pleasant experience! If we end up being stopped at junction or red light and there's a dog near -yikes!
It's not a huge issue as we don't go loads of places in the car, but OH dreads the car journey to my mum's as we pass two country parks and we're almost guaranteed to pass at least one dog! He has the task of distracting the dogs if we clock the dog on time, which works well, but sometimes they sneak up on us, or there's not loads I can do if I'm driving by myself and need to focus on the road.
Training aside, I was thinking a more instant fix would be some window shades, like the ones used to keep the sun out of kid's eyes. On looking for some that would provide the most coverage, I found a company doing custom sized ones for all rear windows which looks fab! Not only could it help with the reactivity, but keep them a bit cooler - and keep the dog snot off my windows
They're not cheap though and I just wondered if anyone had used either shades or window tinting for a similar purpose? Did it obscure their view enough to help with the reactivity?
These are the ones I've spotted to give an idea of how much they'd darken the windows http://www.privacyshades.co.uk/
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Are you talking about rear windows as in passenger seats or boot?

Have you looked at Windowsox?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Both. The tailgate/guard setup means they could look out of all the rear windows (2 on the passenger doors, 2 built-in rear windows, and the boot), which is why I thought these ones might work well
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Have you thought about actually having them professionally tinted with black out film?

My last company car was done, and you cannot tell the difference between professionally filmed windows and tinted ones.

No idea of the cost as the company paid (there was a mix up when I ordered the car) but something to consider?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I thought about it but I prefer the idea of something removable. Being a bit of a boy-racer style car as it is, I would rather avoid tinting the windows and can at least remove the shades when not needed. I'm not totally against it (the look doesn't really bother me, but as a young driver who looks years younger than her age I'd rather not buy into the stereotype further!) but would prefer a removable solution if possible
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
We have tinted windows makes no difference at all as they can see out - just stops people seeing in so when they get barked at they generally jump out of their skin as they haven't seen it coming. Any tint stopping them see out would be illegal. Only real solution we found was have a van not a car, but I hated driving that.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I have a similar problem with Jake, only he reacts to cars rather than dogs, so you can imagine what fun that is!

I have him in a covered crate now (I just throw a blanket over it). I tried covering the windows at the back, but he could still see out of the front, and I couldn't do a lot about that!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We have tinted windows makes no difference at all as they can see out - just stops people seeing in so when they get barked at they generally jump out of their skin as they haven't seen it coming. Any tint stopping them see out would be illegal. Only real solution we found was have a van not a car, but I hated driving that.
Someone on another forum said (and googling seems to confirm it) said that the maximum tint regulations only apply to the front windows/windscreen. I am thinking a Berlingo-esque van would have been more helpful but to be honest the dogs don't go in the car that often and I wanted something nice to drive day to day!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:39 AM
My dogs aren't 'reactive' when in the car but I got shades for my last car (Toyota Aygo) which are very similar to the ones you are looking at. Mine were from Vanstyle.co.uk. The dogs could still see through them but it kept most of the sun out and to be honest if a dog put a paw up to one, they would probably get wrecked. Mine were made up of double thick netting type material. I also had to sew on tags to the top of the blinds as the fixing they provided didn't always hold.
I have a new car now and I had the back and side windows tinted very dark with 90% UV protection. They are fantastic and my car stays so much cooler for the dogs and to be honest it is far better than the blinds.

One way to stop your dog/s barking when in the car is to completely stop them seeing out of the car. Once they are quiet let then see out again and simply replace the blackout if they bark again. Just keep repeating this and they will pick it up very quickly. The only thing is you need someone with you to help when you are driving. This system does work as I helped a friend with her noisy dog. She drove and I kept on covering/uncovering her dog's crate with a blanket.

Good luck
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
My dogs aren't 'reactive' when in the car but I got shades for my last car (Toyota Aygo) which are very similar to the ones you are looking at. Mine were from Vanstyle.co.uk. The dogs could still see through them but it kept most of the sun out and to be honest if a dog put a paw up to one, they would probably get wrecked. Mine were made up of double thick netting type material. I also had to sew on tags to the top of the blinds as the fixing they provided didn't always hold.
I have a new car now and I had the back and side windows tinted very dark with 90% UV protection. They are fantastic and my car stays so much cooler for the dogs and to be honest it is far better than the blinds.

One way to stop your dog/s barking when in the car is to completely stop them seeing out of the car. Once they are quiet let then see out again and simply replace the blackout if they bark again. Just keep repeating this and they will pick it up very quickly. The only thing is you need someone with you to help when you are driving. This system does work as I helped a friend with her noisy dog. She drove and I kept on covering/uncovering her dog's crate with a blanket.

Good luck
Thanks for that. Unfortunately the interior guard wouldn't allow for easy access when driving, there's only room for one passenger in the front (the rear seats go flat and guard sits on top) so would be very awkward to reach.
Training-wise, I think I will be better off arranging stooge situations and rewarding the dogs for being non-reactive at a gradually decreasing distance, I'm just after something in the meantime to stop them practicing the habit/help stave off the headaches
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >