Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 04:15 PM

War Horse

Has anyone seen War Horse? Oscar wants to watch it and I'd love to buy it now it's out on DVD but I get the impression it's a very sad film.

I already knwo about the horses in the war adn where I don't usually get emotionally involved in folms where only people are concerned, no matter what happens to them even if a true story, where animals are concerned I can find myself turnign into a blubbering wreck at the slightest incling of an animal being hurt or not treated properly.

I don't want to watch or buy it if I'm going to end up in this state and of course dependant upon the age rating, I may not allow Oscar to see it anyway.

Oscar loves to ride ponies and has just moved up to a horse that I believe is a little too big for him - although the relationship betwen the 2 is amazing; they're clearly tune in to each other. He is fascinated by horses and already has films about them at home. If this is likely to upset him, he's not going to see it or have it bought for him.

So if anyone has seen it, what are your thoughts? Btw - Oscar is 7 years old, 8 in August.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I watched it and was disappointed. I didnt cry and that must be a first for me in this type of film. Its very overated IMO.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I had just lost my horse (from cancer) not long before War horse came out. I didn't cry, but there was a scene at the end which made me teary, as I had only 2 days earlier also witness a horse go through wire fencing.

I don't tend to cry at films really. There may be a scene you find a little distressing when it come to two german boys, but apart from that the film is fine.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Buy the book and read it together. It's much better than the film.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
I didn't cry either, which is a first for me at an animal film, I cry even when their happy

I don't think it's any more harrowing than your run of the mill Lassie film.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm avoiding this like the plague for exactly the same reason as you Laura. I recorded the documentary of the same name and also couldn't bring myself to watch it.

I cry at most anything nowadays.....
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I didn't realise that its now out on DVD but I do intend to watch it. I saw the theatre version which was excellent with the life size horse puppets.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I didn't realise that its now out on DVD but I do intend to watch it. I saw the theatre version which was excellent with the life size horse puppets.
Id love to see it, its amazing!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 09:53 PM
I have spoken to several people who have seen both the film and the theatre and without exception they all said the latter was much better than the former.

Nobody found the film moving either.

I am afraid I wait until DVDs are are about £3 in the supermarket before I buy them.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2012, 10:00 PM
The theatrical performance is amazing, i've been to see it more than once. I liked the film but it was too long!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >