Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2011, 07:29 PM

A nation of animal lovers - really ?

When Ruth arrived in August, it was a miracle she was even able to stand, let alone wag her tail and attempt to jump up for hugs and kisses. Her skeletal frame brought gasps of horror from every member of staff she encountered. Her hip bones and shoulder blades protruded at sharp angles, each rib perfectly outlined, her skin stretched taut over her bones. Her head seemed grotesquely out of proportion to the tiny body now carried behind it. Weighing in at just 13kg, Ruth was literally half her normal body weight, which should be 25-30kg.
Thankfully, blood tests carried out by our vets confirmed no lasting organ damage and this surprisingly buoyant girl is now on the road to health; munching her way through a nutritious recovery diet. Ruth was no real stray. This emaciation didn't happen by accident, or as a result of having to fend for herself like street dogs in many other countries. Someone had made the decision to deprive her of food; the fuel of life.
It would only have been a matter of days before Ruth's system began to shut down. Her owners had pushed her to the brink of death but The Mayhew will strive to do everything in our power to reverse the abuse.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Theres a lab pup that came into local rescue who was two thirds of her body weight underweight, some people disgust me, I just don't see why people do things like this, never have, and never will.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Makes you sick doesn't it, and no bloody excuse for it if you can't afford the food then even tie it to the rescue centre door ! It's just completely inhumane and never ceases to amaze me what humans are capable of
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
There is a bigger version of pic 2 on the mayhew dog home site..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh gosh, that poor thing ... she looks like ET

Thank god she is now in safe hands. People disgust me sometimes!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
That's horrible. Poor thing.

There was a case like this on "Animal Rescue" in USA once and the people who had starved the dog were fat. I don't know why that disgusted me but it did
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
That's horrible. Poor thing.

There was a case like this on "Animal Rescue" in USA once and the people who had starved the dog were fat. I don't know why that disgusted me but it did
It's outrageously disgusting as they can keep stuffing their own faces with more food than they need while they deprive a dog of basic nutrition. It seems even more sadistic and unnecessary than usual. They deserve to be locked in a cell and given nothing but water until they get some weigth off their lard arses. It would do them good.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I've seen so many people on that programme that starve their dogs and they're always overweight...and you're right...it makes me sick too.
That poor little baby. How can someone cruelly deprive a dog of food and watch it starve to death?
Thank goodness she's being cared for now.
My Jenny was like that when she was rescued. She was 10kgs and couldn't stand. She is now 23 kgs and still very slim, as lots of lurchers are, with a 4 inch wound on her neck from being whipped with a bike chain apparently. I dread to think how bad she looked when she was rescued No wonder my poor baby has issues!
Ruth is a gorgeous little girlie..and it amazes me after everything they've been through at the hands of humans, that they are so forgiving
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
what a sad and sick story, i cant even tell what breed she is anymore
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
It's outrageously disgusting as they can keep stuffing their own faces with more food than they need while they deprive a dog of basic nutrition. It seems even more sadistic and unnecessary than usual. They deserve to be locked in a cell and given nothing but water until they get some weigth off their lard arses. It would do them good.
Ah-glad you agree. Didn't want to be accused of being "fattist" but I think the same as you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >