register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 81 of 84 « First < 31 71 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 >
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Reposting this as CC seems to have missed it.

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua
I get your point Wys but isn't that what it's all about. You do things one way, CM another. It's all about choice for the dog owners. They get to choose which way they want their dog trained. Horses for courses and all that. What worked for the Michael Vick Pitts might not work for another dog>>>>

Would you bring the same thoughts to teaching children?

Some parents would back a teacher who beat their child---and it might work----does that make it right?

OTOH that child might internalise it and go on to beat their own children.

Simplistic but it will do for an example.

rune
Errrrr....................give me a chance, I'm working my way through. If you'd been a little patient, you'll see I was addressing it as you were typing your reminder to me.

Not all of us are just sitting at a computer with nothing else to do. Kids are off school (staff training) today and so I'm afraid I can't give the thread my undivided attention I'm a Mum as well as a dog lover, so I do have to divide my time
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
No you weren't joking---and everyone knows you weren't.
You backtracked.
Good decision to stop now though.

rune
Hardly helpful in getting the thread back on track really. All you are doing is alienating Gnasher from the thread (along with others)! You can't tell Gnasher that she wasn't joking! How do you know?????????????
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Not really, because we are talking dogs here, not kids. A whole different species

CM doesn't "beat" dogs either. I think (being as you want to associate training of children to dogs) you'd find that even a teacher in today's "hands off" approach, would have the right to restrain a child that was out of control. That's all CM does when you talk about him stringing a dog up and the like. He isn't actually doing anything, just holding the dog on a lead. It's the dog that "strings" itself up by refusing to allow CM to restrain him/her.

If one of my childrens' teachers were to "beat" them, then they'd have a severe problem to deal with (in the form of a very angry me). However, if one of my children were out of control, had lost the plot and the teacher, say, held them in some sort of hold, then I don't see I'd be able to even complain, as the teacher would be acting in the best interests of all in the close vicinity.

You have a right to your opinion (albeit totally different to my own) and I respect it
I know exactly what the rules are for teachers and I have often had to restrain a child/young adult from either self harming or harming others.

However the big difference is that the kids were removed from the stressfull situation ASAP, as was the trigger. For reasons best known to himself CM doesn't do that. Maybe he thinks it is more macho and manly to hang on in there and strangle the dog?

This business of 'the dog does it to himself' is real desperation on the part of the, apparently blind, followers of the man.

Would you complain if the teachers restrained your child and made them stand and be in a place they didn't want to be in?

rune
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I know exactly what the rules are for teachers and I have often had to restrain a child/young adult from either self harming or harming others.

However the big difference is that the kids were removed from the stressfull situation ASAP, as was the trigger. For reasons best known to himself CM doesn't do that. Maybe he thinks it is more macho and manly to hang on in there and strangle the dog?

This business of 'the dog does it to himself' is real desperation on the part of the, apparently blind, followers of the man.[COLOR="red"]

Would you complain if the teachers restrained your child and made them stand and be in a place they didn't want to be in. rune
Well, it's all a bit hypothetical isn't it, so it's hard to give a straight yes or no answer. Everything would depend on the circumstances; why the child lost control, whether it would be sensible to remove the child from where it was, possibly compromising the safety of others, so on and so forth.....................that's why it isn't really sensible to compare dog to child when discussing this kind of topic. I'm sure putting a child on a lead might be helpful in certain circumstances (where a child is attacking another child and teachers are struggling to control said child) but nobody would ever do that because putting a lead on a child is "abuse" and totally unacceptable in any circumstance, whereas we all put leads on our beloved dogs day in day out. Dog/child are not comparable in this subject at all.

The paragraph regarding "pros" being blind really isn't helpful is it because we can't move on if you accuse people of being blind because of their opinion. I could say you were "blind" because of your interpretation of the situation but I am open-minded enough to see that we all have our own opinions, which should be respected.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Its weird---I can't see how, in this day and age of enlightenment, anyone can think what he does is right.

I suppose its like still believing the earth is flat.

Its a sign of an arguement being lost when you say you can't compare the way we treat dogs and the way we treat kids.Of course we can. They are all beings who need to learn how to behave in whichever society we choose to take them into. How we teach them to do that is,in the main, up to us.

Restraining and making them stay in a stressfull situation is not good for either.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, when I say "alone" I don't mean she's left all alone.

I understood that,(as in alone in the house ) but my question refared to you (after she has done the deed), NOT catching her in the act, was that as you are such an fan of CM , you will know he has a saying "dogs live in the moment" , not after
the event.

Showing a dog they have done something wrong AFTER they have done it , it a wasted effort.. YOU may feel she is showing remorse, with the way she "looks at you, but you could be showing her a peice of steak, and telling her "bad" and she wil still have the same reaction........ its all down to the tone of your voice, and your body launguage, if you are giving off negative vibes, she will pick up on them....... nothign to do with that tastey shoe she has just eaten

She's never alone as she has her Chi friends and when I'm out they all go to the playpen area, so she can only get what she's allowed. I suppose what I meant was that she's not being watched as such. We have a big house, so if I'm upstairs or in the dining room say, she'll take her "find" to the lounge (maybe behind the sofa or one of the coffee tables) and do her dastardly deed in private. When I see she's up to no good, I'll hold the trainer/wallet/purse/whatever and just say "bad" in a low but calm tone. and doesn't usually repeat her "naughtiness" for some timeI'm pretty sure from her body language that she knows she's wrong (lulling me into a false sense of thinking our leather goods are safe
now ):
But she does after a time, when more temptations are set in ner way... which says, those methods dont work.

Originally Posted by Promethean789469
Obviously I do, my annoying troll. You keep responding

I suggest you pay attention, halfwit, you are not 'women'. What you are is an internet loser, with far too much sense of entitlement and too little sense to know better.

If you spent less time whining about how you are being victimized and spent more time thinking, these discussion would not be getting off topic.
Your attitude and language is disgusting, voive an opinion, but try an do it without sinking into the gutter!!!!!!

No you weren't joking---and everyone knows you weren't.
You backtracked.
Good decision to stop now though.

rune
Agree the first reference to the "red eyes" was not make in jest, only after it was questioned, did she back track, to suggest it was made in irony

Hardly helpful in getting the thread back on track really. All you are doing is alienating Gnasher from the thread (along with others)! You can't tell Gnasher that she wasn't joking! How do you know?????????????
I think CC , it was obvious,
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Its weird---I can't see how, in this day and age of enlightenment, anyone can think what he does is right.

I suppose its like still believing the earth is flat.

Its a sign of an arguement being lost when you say you can't compare the way we treat dogs and the way we treat kids.Of course we can. They are all beings who need to learn how to behave in whichever society we choose to take them into. How we teach them to do that is,in the main, up to us.

Restraining and making them stay in a stressfull situation is not good for either.

rune
And that's what it's all about with some, isn't it? (above in bold). I'm here to give my views, to answer questions as best I can, to discuss and listen NOT WIN an argument but it's clear that some are here on a point scoring mission

You clearly can't treat children and dogs in the same way in certain circumstances, as I've already highlighted. Yes, there are certain aspects of dog training that kind of overlap with training a child, as in rewarding good behaviour (not in a treats sense but with praise and encouragement) and ignoring bad (in some circumstances with both child and dog behaviour). However, when discussing how to deal with a child that is aggressive, out of control.......................it's a bit different to dealing with a dog that's lost the plot. For one, the child's unlikely to take your fingers off and the dog is definitely not going to shout verbal abuse. Each situation is unique and I'm sorry but NO I cannot compare dog/child in the scenario you have set out. If you want to consider that because of that, I've lost the argument, feel free. I'm not here to win arguments, just to discuss.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But she does after a time, when more temptations are set in ner way... which says, those methods dont work.
I can't say more than I already have that I failed Fluffles miserably on this one. It is a difficult one because I do understand that dogs live "in the moment" but how do you address a dog that has destroyed something, after the event????? I'm not perfect (far from) and I'm open to suggestions. Like I've said (sorry to keep repeating) it isn't a massive problem but one I've struggled to decide on a good way of dealing with. If it happened daily say, or even weekly, I dare say I'd have got my act together but she may go weeks and weeks without destroying some leather item and so I assume she's passed the phase, until that bitten up shoe/wallet/purse appears before me. However, I've listened to a couple of good ideas on this thread and I will address it.

But just to reiterate, I do realise I HAVE MESSED UP on this particular issue with Fluffles *holds hands up*

Touching on the Gnasher situation briefly, it certainly wasn't obvious to me one way or the other but Gnasher has a fab sense of humour and so I think she most likely did say in jest. Give her a break, eh
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Always happy to agree to disagree with you, Wys
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
CM doesn't "beat" dogs either. I think (being as you want to associate training of children to dogs) you'd find that even a teacher in today's "hands off" approach, would have the right to restrain a child that was out of control. That's all CM does when you talk about him stringing a dog up and the like. He isn't actually doing anything, just holding the dog on a lead. It's the dog that "strings" itself up by refusing to allow CM to restrain him/her.

Has CM taught the dog to be restrained? No he doesn't he fights them all the way. The dog does not 'string itself up' that is due to the actions of CM trying to 'control' a dog who is very distressed and in certain circumstances is fighting for it's life. He allows the leads around the dogs necks (not collars note) to tighten to the point that the dog suffers from a lack of air and blood to the brain. He completely ignores all the appeasement gestures the dog gives out so appears totally unable to read a dogs body language.

If one of my childrens' teachers were to "beat" them, then they'd have a severe problem to deal with (in the form of a very angry me). However, if one of my children were out of control, had lost the plot and the teacher, say, held them in some sort of hold, then I don't see I'd be able to even complain, as the teacher would be acting in the best interests of all in the close vicinity.
But exactly where would you draw the line as to what is reasonable restraint and what is abusive behaviour? Using physical force of any kind is balancing on a very fine line.
Becky
Closed Thread
Page 81 of 84 « First < 31 71 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 >