View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I have variofocals and I love them! My eyes are really bad so I had to have the most exspensive ones in Spec Savers, taylor made. Well worth the exrtra money.
I didnt have to adjust to mine at all they were perfect from day one. I was told however to slowly move my head and not just my eyes.
If you are not happy after a couple of weeks go back and have a chat and see what is suggested. If you can afford the best they do, go for it!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes, you do have to move your head , for them to work properly, driving is the worse, looking for your blind spot , without moving your head, is impossible,

I have had them for years, as has my hubby, to be honest, never got on with them, and an thinking of having contact lenses, or even laser surgery.

Mine are panoramic , and still find them a pain.

Have resorted to buying the cheap reading glasses from boots, have loads of them and cant ever find a pair when I need them
There is a new panoramic view Jackie - within last few months. We go to Vision Express. They demonstrated for us - show you a video. Think its the grand canyon - your vision is right round - probably not explaining it right. Before if you look far to left or right you may have lost vision or got fuzzy & had to turn your head round, this with the new panoramic views does not happen.

I need corrective lens for astigmatism & all my life have had problems adjusting to new lens. When i look down the ground seems to be hitting me in the face - sounds mad but only way i can describe it. Until eyes adjust - straight levels appear slanted. It only ever took a few days but vould be disconcerting!

Since we started going to Vision Express, it hasnt really happened. Dont think theyre cheapest on the planet , but
are so helpful, kind & really listen plus very very professional

We had been going to a high st optician & Vision Express discovered my lenses were too strong

This time i put the glasses/new lens on - brilliant

Vision Express recommend you give New varifocals 6 weeks to adjust.

When we go into the shop now, we are greeted like old friends

Weve been to chain opticians over years - VE is by far better than any or single optician - just how we feel of course!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Still struggling, I took them off when I was shopping today, I felt so dizzy

Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Sorry Nippy but the bad news is yes. There are three different varifocal grades and it's the dearest one that gives the wide view. Check with your optician on prices.The good news is the top grade lenses are not as expensive as they used to be. I have these and they do make a difference.
I paid £305 for my glasses from an independant optician that I have been going to for about 20 years.
I don't call this cheap but maybe it is, I don't know the prices.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
that is so funny, because that is the WORSE thing about specs is it not? Putting them down and then trying to find them again.............
I know, I can ring my phone when I lose it but if I lose my glasses I've got no chance.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I paid £305 for my glasses from an independant optician that I have been going to for about 20 years.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx
No I don't call that cheap but then again I don't call any of them cheap apart from single or basic lenses.A lot depends on what your lenses involve as each additional extra bumps up the price.Opticians can use different suppliers which can effect their prices.Frames are lots cheaper than they used to be but when it comes to quality lenses then hold your breath.--Mine are top grade ultra thin varifocal lenses and I think the lenses where approx.£230.00 plus frames @£125.00 on top of that.(ouch!).Luckily because I am over !! years of age I get 25% off the cost.It used to be 30% but it still makes a big difference on expensive lenses.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 01:03 PM
A little while back there was a TV programme which exposed how much the cost of making a simple prescription lens for specs. was. I think it was someone from Specsavers, who had made his fortune and he said the cost of making a lens was only about 50p. Don't know how true this is, but it made me wonder.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I have been wearing them for about 4 years now and love them.
I really did hate them to start with but luckily couldn't afford to get another pair of plain lenses so had to persevere. Now I wouldn't be without them.
Persevere and hopefully one day, like me you will wonder how you managed without them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I remember thats sensation with the first pair that I got - funny how it comes back. Remember having to hold tight onto the stair bannister

Things are so much more different now - thankfully
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hi Jenny. I have varifocals and have had them for some years now. You shouldn't have to "adjust" to be able to see clearly in both the reading and looking panes. It sounds to me like they're either positioned wrong or they've got the prescription wrong. Opticians labs making errors is not unusual at all. If there's no improvement in 24 hours, take them back......

x0x
I wish I could say the same , I did try try them for a month before giving up
Perhaps it also depends on the individual persons sight problem. I would love to be able to wear them but dare not try again and risk spending a lot of money on something I can't use.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
A little while back there was a TV programme which exposed how much the cost of making a simple prescription lens for specs. was. I think it was someone from Specsavers, who had made his fortune and he said the cost of making a lens was only about 50p. Don't know how true this is, but it made me wonder.

Prices are scandalous I don't think anyone would argue with that.
I'm sure there will be a lot of truth in it even if there is any exaggeration. The same with the frames they only cost pence to produce. What can you do when they have you over a barrel.
Hard varifocal contact lenses are £200.00 a pair: and they don't insure them. They are only tiny so can you imagine losing one of them at £100 a lense.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Its whatever youre comfortable with that matters, your eyesight is so important

My lens are always very pricey being corrective lens. As soon as ive got new ones, i start saving immediately for the next ones
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx
No I don't call that cheap but then again I don't call any of them cheap apart from single or basic lenses.A lot depends on what your lenses involve as each additional extra bumps up the price.Opticians can use different suppliers which can effect their prices.Frames are lots cheaper than they used to be but when it comes to quality lenses then hold your breath.--Mine are top grade ultra thin varifocal lenses and I think the lenses where approx.£230.00 plus frames @£125.00 on top of that.(ouch!).Luckily because I am over !! years of age I get 25% off the cost.It used to be 30% but it still makes a big difference on expensive lenses.

shop around......you can get them cheaper!

we tell new varifocal wearers to ONLY wear them around the house for the first 2 weeks, not to attempt the stairs until your used to them, after that if you dont get on with them come back and we will exchange them.

varifocal contact lenses work on your pupil size and different manufacturers suit different people. thats why we do free trials until you find one which works for you.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >