Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Urinary problem

Hi,

Willow is approx 2 yr old whippet x and spayed.
She has over this last year had the occasional "dribble", where she might have been sitting or lying and got up there would be a small amount of urine.

This last few weeks I've occasionally come across wet bedding in her crate, and had been putting this down to me missing the occasional accident she has had (due to seperation anxiety) when I've been out.

But last week I was sitting next to her on the floor and she was fast asleep. She wet herself whilst sleeping. She wet her bed yesterday when I was in and today she she was lying on the floor and wet herself again. Just now she was in getting petted by my daughter and there was dribbles in there also. (She wasn't overly excited or anything, just sitting next to the sofa getting stroked.)

Any thoughts on causes for this? Could it be incontience or perhaps a urinary infection? She's drinking as normal, no change in diet etc.

I'm going to give her liquid cranberry extract for a few days to see if it helps; if not we'll pop along to the vet. But I'm interested to hear what others think of her problem please.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Assuming no UTI, its possibly 'spay' incontinence, affecting about a quarter of spayed bitches. Mine has it too, to some degree but it comes and goes still, and she keeps herself fastidiously clean, so not a problem yet. There are drugs and homeopathic remedies I believe.

Let us know what the vet thinks,

Mary
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Pop her to the vet to check there is no infection and if not they can give you some tablets, similar to HRT that will sort the problem. Till you get it sorted out you had best make sure you keep the inside of her legs and belly clean and dry or she may get urine burns. If she does have to go onto tables you may be able to reduce them slowly and only start them again if it starts again. It is true a large number of spayed bitches do have this problem but not usually so young, it normally gets worse as the bitch gets older and often is so little that the owner does not notice although they may notice the bitch cleaning rather more than normal.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I'd prefer to go the herbal or homeopathic route rather than the drug route if at all possible. Thankfully I have a vet that agrees with homeopathy and is qualified.

I feel kinda guilty now for her being spayed young and wonder if I had left it till she was over a year old would have lessened her chances of this happening.

But better this than an accidental litter I guess.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:52 PM
To late for regrets so best to sort the problem, do not know if there is a satisfactory way of replacing the hormones & natural steroids but think it is only necessary to replace some of the estrogens to help with incontinence problems so it may be possible, speak to your vet and see what can be offered. If that fails and you have to use the normal medication remember you are only putting back what has been removed.

You mention she was spayed young, was it before her first season, if so she may have an immature vulva which could also be come burned so make sure that is kept clean and dry and a little of the sort of cream you would use on a babies bum would help to stop the skin damage as well.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I would imagine its the sphincter muscles that are slack post spaying and she will always do it. Propalin is the usual treatment, but Incurin and Stilbeostrol are used also. there is this homeopathic remedy, cant comment how good it is though, my friend uses it for her bicth but I think hers was more of a couple of "accidents" than an incontinence issue.
http://www.csjk9.com/ProductCart/PC/...3&idproduct=50
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I would imagine its the sphincter muscles that are slack post spaying and she will always do it. Propalin is the usual treatment, but Incurin and Stilbeostrol are used also. there is this homeopathic remedy, cant comment how good it is though, my friend uses it for her bicth but I think hers was more of a couple of "accidents" than an incontinence issue.
http://www.csjk9.com/ProductCart/PC/...3&idproduct=50
I used Incurin on my bitch who had a problem following a back injury, it worked well but within a couple of weeks she had regained control from being unable to stand without draining to being fully normal, but as you say this is different because the muscles rely on the hormones to work properly, hence the large sale of Tenalady, it does not effect all bitches or women but nearly all have some problem at some time but others like this poor bitch most of the time.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:34 AM
I would take advice from the vet, personally.

Hope you get it sorted hon x
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Pita, yes it was before her first season she was spayed. Thankfully as yet the skin is unaffected, but I've got some sudocream here should I see any signs of problems.

Borderdawn, thanks for your suggestion. I had seen Hold It mentioned on another thread and will buy some to try.

Vicki, she is in otherwise good health. Should I not see any improvement/it worsens/she seems otherwise unwell, I'll pop her along to the vet.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Pita, yes it was before her first season she was spayed. Thankfully as yet the skin is unaffected, but I've got some sudocream here should I see any signs of problems.
Sadly this would seem to be a spay related case of incontinence and the only answer is to replace the hormones missing because the hormone producing organs were removed during her spay. The cure is to replace these hormones with a substitute, whether you go for the conventional veterinary produced product or a commercial alternative product or by some herb or plant product is up to you but I would try to get control ASAP as it can become more intransient the longer it is left and secondary problems are not uncommon in an animal that has chronic incontinence.

Just a PS, would let the vet take a look at her as it could be an infection that would not effect her well being as it only causes problems in the urinary system, it is also possible that an error was made in the surgery when she was spayed and it could be possible for this to be corrected.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >