Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:49 PM

To Lift of Not to Lift?

In the past I've always had dogs that have eaten their food when it gets put down. I've never had to wonder about lifting it. Now with Dingo, he likes to save a bit for later and maybe eat it if he feels like it.

I thought that I should perhaps lift it because at this time of the year the flies are rubbing their feet together and grinning at the dog food party they're about to have.

What I want to know is, how long is long enough to leave it down? Should I lift it after 10 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins ....?

Heidi
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:53 PM
mine get 30mins from when i put it down then it is took up, if it is really hot its 15mins if they have walked away. hope that helps.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:06 PM
If I lift his food should I chuck it in the bin and give him fresh for his evening meal or save what he had and give it back to him?

Heidi
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:18 PM
My dogs are only fed twice and once they walk away its taken up. Im very anal about them getting over weight. Chance gets a cup of food at each meal and Ivan gets a cup and a half. Both dogs generally finish all the food before they leave. This way it also avoids any squabbles that could arise.

As far as whether or not to keep the food he doesnt eat, I would as long as it hasnt been sitting long.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I feed raw, and there's never anything left. What food does Dingo have, Heidi?
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 08:05 AM
He's got his usual hills science with meat. The meat depends on what we've had the night before because he's saved some of the mince, chicken, steak etc.

Heidi
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 08:44 AM
My mum's dog is a picky eater choosing to graze throughout the day....as did my old boy when he was alive.

As both dogs had dried food and had no behavioural problems and were not food aggressive to dogs or people their food was left down all the time.

Dewi (my mum's) dog, still has his food offered first thing in the morning and left all day. The flies don't seem interested in it, maybe because it is dry.

His bowl gets washed every evening and more food offered in the morning.

Like i say, he has no behavioural problems. If it was a dog with some issues i would rethink leaving the food down.

Of course ,when Tonks visits we have to lift his food as she would wolf it down.........even though she rarely wolfs her own food down!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 08:58 AM
We lift our boys food approx 30 mins after putting it down regardless of anything else. Otherwise, someone (usually Murphy!) will decide to eat anything that is left.

Since they mostly get dried food, it is left for the next meal. If anything has been added, and it is left, it gets binned.

Obviously, being a deep-chested breed and prone to bloat, I don't want them grazing on food and then running round like loonies etc.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-06-2008, 03:14 PM
If flag doesn't eat his within 10 minutes we lift it up, to stop TJ nicking it, theirs no problem with TJ as his never lasts more than about 3 minutes.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Dogs leave Food!
not a problem in this house

that said the boys are a bit off at the moment as hollys in season, so sat looking at her in her confinement is better than food but thats the only time it happens, guess rotties are more randy than greedy,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >