Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 03:29 PM

Scared - Someone Stole my Identity

I am now feeling really scared about using my computer after finding that someone had stolen my identity last week on Ebay. I tried to log in one day and found that my password didn't work, then found that they had also changed my email address for contacting. They also sold things under my name and paid for the adverts from my paypal account. Though they reimbersed me for the ads I am so scared to use it now, it's really scary, and i really don't understand how this could happen.

Any advise or clues to how they can do this would be wellcome.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Im no expert with puters,but each time i've bought something from Ebay or simply logged onto my account-afterwards i always delete my temporary internet files so no info can be taken away should someone be able to hack into my laptop.

Im curious to know how someone has stolen and changed your identity so will be watching this thread with intrest.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Im no expert with puters,but each time i've bought something from Ebay or simply logged onto my account-afterwards i always delete my temporary internet files so no info can be taken away should someone be able to hack into my laptop.

Im curious to know how someone has stolen and changed your identity so will be watching this thread with intrest.
Hi, steve - yes i also delete the temorary internet files on a daily basis, as my laptop runs slow if I don't!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 03:57 PM
many ways it can be done, if you use an easy to guess password and oen password for eveything, then your screwed.

however i wouldexpect you prolly have some virus or spyware etc that acts liek a keylogger or print screen and is sending the information to whoever has hacked your computer.

do you hav a virus scanner ? firewall and anti spyware ?
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I have no advice, but just wanted to say I am sorry this has happened. I hope you get it sorted.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal and also have Webroot Window Washer!

Oh and I use a different password for everything using letters and numbers in each one - so I wouldn't have thought they were easy passwords.
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Would it help to dissconnect from the internet every time you finish using it instead of leaving it connected permanently?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Would it help to dissconnect from the internet every time you finish using it instead of leaving it connected permanently?
I allways disconnect!
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron View Post
many ways it can be done, if you use an easy to guess password and oen password for eveything, then your screwed.

however i wouldexpect you prolly have some virus or spyware etc that acts liek a keylogger or print screen and is sending the information to whoever has hacked your computer.

do you hav a virus scanner ? firewall and anti spyware ?
Now I'm really worried are you saying they could get into my internet banking as well.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-09-2006, 04:53 PM
the words your screwed spring to mind.

no mentionof a firwall, so sounds like you have been hacked.

so you need to like format your pc and change all your passwords and get a decent set of pc protection tools in place.

theres a lsit of free ones in thsi forum.

you need a firewall, antivirus and anti spyware.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >