Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Is this wrong?

daphni has been a bit fussy with her food lately, so i swapped her pro plan biscuits to royal canin and she definately prefers these biscuits. she was just on pouches of dog meat mixed in with it but she wasnt really eating the meat, so i bought some frozen tripe and some frozen lamb from pets at home. i just defrosted a bit of the lamb and mixed it in with the biscuits. she wolfed it down and has been doing since so i presumed all was good. however my nana (who i live with) said i shouldnt just give her raw lamb when she isnt used to it because i can harm her?
have i done wrong by swapping it so suddenly?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
No, it's fine. Sometimes dogs can get upset tummies by having stuff they aren't used to, but a bit of raw lamb or tripe should be fine. You are more likely to get a bad reaction from beef than lamb, as dogs are more likely to be sensitive to it. Lots of sensitive dog foods contain lamb or chicken, so it can't be bad! Some say you shouldn't mix raw meat and dry food, but I've done it with no problems, and lots of owners of show and working dogs do it and have fit dogs in optimal health.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
yeah thats what i thought. i kept an eye out for any upset tummys and she has been fine. shes eating better than she was before, and loves it, i was thinking of adding some turkey next, its just a bit extra and she likes eating it. didnt think it would do her any harm.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yeah thats what i thought. i kept an eye out for any upset tummys and she has been fine. shes eating better than she was before, and loves it, i was thinking of adding some turkey next, its just a bit extra and she likes eating it. didnt think it would do her any harm.
you're best to stick to the same meat for a couple of weeks before trying anything new, to give her chance for her body to get used to dealing with the meat. Once she's settled on it, go for it and give her a variety.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 11:06 AM
The only thing I would say, is that if you are feeding the raw meat and the kibble in the same meal, be very careful as they digest at very different rates, so can cause tummy upsets. Saying that, there are some people who I am aware of who feed kibble and raw at the same time and have no problems.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
The only thing I would say, is that if you are feeding the raw meat and the kibble in the same meal, be very careful as they digest at very different rates, so can cause tummy upsets. Saying that, there are some people who I am aware of who feed kibble and raw at the same time and have no problems.
yeh she doesnt get alot of it in one go. she just has a tiny bit mixed in with her biscuit to add a bit more flavour and interest. she seems to be doing fine on it, just my nana worried me a bit. although i think she is a bit stuck in her ways when it comes to the dogs, so doesnt really like me trying stuff that she doesnt do.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yeh she doesnt get alot of it in one go. she just has a tiny bit mixed in with her biscuit to add a bit more flavour and interest. she seems to be doing fine on it, just my nana worried me a bit. although i think she is a bit stuck in her ways when it comes to the dogs, so doesnt really like me trying stuff that she doesnt do.
It made me laugh when I started Jess on raw the amount of people who thought it turned them agressive...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
It made me laugh when I started Jess on raw the amount of people who thought it turned them agressive...
well my nana is very set in her ways. i also think that she resents me and my dog. i think its just because my dog is better behaved than hers, listens to me, and is doing better in the showring than hers. so i think sometimes she just likes to cause trouble to try and prove she is better than me
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
When ever I read about a fussy dog, I wonder if it is over fed. If so, it is far better to cut back what you are feeding than find something the dog will eat as much as you think it should.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

Before you venture into alternative diets such as the raw lamb and tripe, you need to spend months researching dog nutrition. You shouldn't just replace a carefully formulated complete and balanced kibble with this and that. The problems from an unbalanced diet often don't show up until it is too late.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
When ever I read about a fussy dog, I wonder if it is over fed. If so, it is far better to cut back what you are feeding than find something the dog will eat as much as you think it should.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

Before you venture into alternative diets such as the raw lamb and tripe, you need to spend months researching dog nutrition. You shouldn't just replace a carefully formulated complete and balanced kibble with this and that. The problems from an unbalanced diet often don't show up until it is too late.

firstly i havent replaced her diet completely. she has kibble twice a day, and she gets a bit of tripe or lamb mixed in. she is still on the same portions, has the same ammount of meat as she did before its just not dog meat out of a tin now. this can only be better in my opnion. and she just didnt like the meat she was getting. her portions havent changed and she gets walked twice a day, with at least an hour of lead. she isnt overfed, if anything she has been a bit underweight since her first season, and her portions are quite small already, my OHs puppy who is 7 months old, eats double of what mine eats because he needs it. it does just depend on the dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >