Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Help needed homemade food

Hi im desperate for help or advice. Were trying to make our Staffie home cooked natural food but im struggling. She is allergic to beef and lamb so yesterday I boiled a whole medium chicken, cooked brown rice and veg. I thought it would last her 3 days but within 24hrs all the meat was gone
I went to supermarket and brought a bag of frozen fish ive just cooked the bag but there doesn't look like there's alot.
I dont want to have to cook every day so would like to cook in bulk and freeze some.
So here are my questions-
Ive read the meal should be 80% meat would you agree?
Do you have any tips for best value for money on chicken or fish?
What vitamins supplements do you give your dog?
Any general top tips??
Im keen to make this work cause Angel was diagonised with cancer last month and I want to feed her food that I know what is in it.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thank you in advance
Donna & Angel
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/

A couple of links

You do not need to cook the food better to feed raw. I have been advised that you need 100 g to 150 of food per 10k of dog weight, but you may need to adjust depending on the dog.

I cook rice to mix or use uncooked porridge oats.

The % of meat varies as some people do not feed veg.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about the cancer, poor love, I hope she's ok xxxx Our Zeke got diagnosed a few months ago, hence our change to a natural diet too!

What about liver, kidneys, heart etc or is she allergic to these? We feed these twice a week and they are so cheap, even from the supermarkets!

We get the big bags of frozen meat from the freezers at Pets@Home, 'Prize Choice' - they do a pretty wide selection (including chicken) I think they're about £3-£4 for a pretty big bag, and they have the weights you should feed on the back. We keep the whole expensive chickens just for the days he has his chemo and is has an extra sensitive tummy and is deserving of a big treat! Other meat I get from the reduced sections in the supermarket on the day they're at their best before dates, and freeze it! He gets our left over veg, eggs shells, and pro biotic yoghurt with honey for afters!

We also feed him ginger for his tummy, and apparently brocolli stalk and parsley are good for a cancer diet too. I agree with 80% meat in the meal. We don't feed carbohydrates at all, rice, pasta or potatoes etc as apparently it can feed the cancer.

Forgot to say! - Ours get Salmon Oil in each meal, I think it's great, I get the 1 litre bottles off ebay, for the vital fatty acids, omegas that dogs can only get from their diet xxx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
For Sadie's 9th birthday we made her a birthday cake, I am so useless I've forgot it (it didnt last long anyway, even in the fridge it went off and smelled horrible) but we did make the dogs brown rice and chicken chunks, you have to be careful with rice though, it cleans out their stomach and what comes out the other end isn't nice. We also give ours every now and then, pasta and tuna with fresh veg. If i find the recipe I will post it...it's somewhere in my house but I'm in middle of moving so it could be a while
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
For Sadie's 9th birthday we made her a birthday cake, I am so useless I've forgot it (it didnt last long anyway, even in the fridge it went off and smelled horrible) but we did make the dogs brown rice and chicken chunks, you have to be careful with rice though, it cleans out their stomach and what comes out the other end isn't nice. We also give ours every now and then, pasta and tuna with fresh veg. If i find the recipe I will post it...it's somewhere in my house but I'm in middle of moving so it could be a while
Oo yes, homemade treats! Tuna/sardine/liver cake are favourites with ours, just mix the meat/fish with a bit of plain flour, a couple of eggs, garlic and parmesan cheese till you get a dough and bake like a cake! xx
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry just thought of something else, we get boxes of chicken wings from the supermarket - they're really cheap and you get quite a lot in the box-i usually end up freezing half! I feed 2 or 3 as a meal sometimes. The dogs love them (raw).
loveabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone I'd like to thank you for all for your help and advice. I found this dog food company yesterday http://www.naturalinstinct.com/
There food is based on the BARF diet and all the ingredients is natural and is human grade meat. It come's frozen to keep it fresh and will cost me about £1.00 a day.
Thanks again for your help, hope you all are having a great weekend.
Were taking Angel to Norfolk next week were staying in a chalet right on the beach. Angel will love it she loves paddling in the sea
xoxo
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by loveabull View Post
Hi im desperate for help or advice. Were trying to make our Staffie home cooked natural food but im struggling. She is allergic to beef and lamb so yesterday I boiled a whole medium chicken, cooked brown rice and veg. I thought it would last her 3 days but within 24hrs all the meat was gone
I went to supermarket and brought a bag of frozen fish ive just cooked the bag but there doesn't look like there's alot.
I dont want to have to cook every day so would like to cook in bulk and freeze some.
So here are my questions-
Ive read the meal should be 80% meat would you agree?
Do you have any tips for best value for money on chicken or fish?
What vitamins supplements do you give your dog?
Any general top tips??
Im keen to make this work cause Angel was diagonised with cancer last month and I want to feed her food that I know what is in it.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Thank you in advance
Donna & Angel
If feeding a RMB's based diet (Raw Meaty Bones) I think most try to use 80% meat 10% bone 5% liver and 5% other offal basing it on variety over time. Here is a diet guide that I found; http://www.rawmeatybones.com/diet/exp-diet-guide.pdf

If your sticking to cooked food rather than a raw diet then you will need to add some powdered eggshells or bonemeal to the meals as the dog will need minerals etc I'm not sure if the quantities are the same for cooked as raw but I think rawfeeding may be easier for you - you just take the block of mince/bone out the freezer the night before and then feed it the next day - no cooking

Aldi's have good prices on chicken, don't know about fish fillets, I think they are about the same everywhere.

I don't give my dog any vitamins or supplements unless he needs them (i.e. Slippery Elm Bark Powder for an upset tum) I think he gets everything he needs from a raw diet - minerals from bone, b-vits from liver and offal and everything else from the meat.

My tip would be to look at buying her food (whether you want to cook it or not) from a raw meat supplier like DAF http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/page...rozen-food.php Landywoods http://www.landywoods.co.uk/price_list.html or AMP http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/products/index.php

Most minces already contain ground bone so you don't have to add bonemeal and it will work out a lot cheaper too. Also, Ive heard that carbs are not good for a dog with cancer (i.e. rice) but this is not something I have read much about so you may want to look further into that yourself. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs health but hope this is of some help to you.