27-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Sooooo - which ones did you decide on?? lol
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Sooooo - which ones did you decide on?? lol
Can you believe I still can't make up my mind They are all great boots.

I bought myself an 'in the meantime' pair. Cheap and dry for now.

Won't last!

Take care Greyhawk.

Seoniad.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
I bought myself an 'in the meantime' pair. Cheap and dry for now.
Won't last!
Seoniad.
Seoniad - I can't advise any make but I would definately advise getting a GOOD pair with a really GOOD sole designed for GRIPPING

Why am I urging you to do thei simply because in June I was in a hurry and grabbed a pair of CHEAP trainers and slipped on some wet grass and broke my leg, has ruined my summer as I'm only just walking normaly again.

So please PLEASE take that 'In between pair' and turn them upside down and look at the 'tread' and see if it looks like it'll grip properly and if you have any doubts don't use them for hiking.

Sorry if this post sounds patronising but I really wouldn't want anyone to do what I did and it's not like the place where I went down was steep or rough it was just some grass on a level bit of cart track
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Seoniad - I can't advise any make but I would definately advise getting a GOOD pair with a really GOOD sole designed for GRIPPING

Why am I urging you to do thei simply because in June I was in a hurry and grabbed a pair of CHEAP trainers and slipped on some wet grass and broke my leg, has ruined my summer as I'm only just walking normaly again.

So please PLEASE take that 'In between pair' and turn them upside down and look at the 'tread' and see if it looks like it'll grip properly and if you have any doubts don't use them for hiking.

Sorry if this post sounds patronising but I really wouldn't want anyone to do what I did and it's not like the place where I went down was steep or rough it was just some grass on a level bit of cart track
Not at all Loso. Thank's for being kind enough to take the time to post

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. Sounds so painful. It must have been so frustrating not being able to go out and about this summer. I'm so glad you are finally up and around again. Hope you continue to improve and here's to a good summer for you next year!

I did manage to get a pair with good tread. My guys pull like steam trains out on the trail and we cover some muddy uneven ground. They were certainly tested on Saturday when a pheasant ran out straight in front of us, and trust me to have the two 'prey monsters' at the time.......... the boots dug in pretty good!

As you said it is so important to have good grip when we are out and about with our dogs. I hope I can make my mind up about which 'forever boots' to buy. It's taking longer than I ever thought!

Thank you again for thinking of me Loso. Take good care of yourself.

Seoniad.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
They were certainly tested on Saturday when a pheasant ran out straight in front of us, and trust me to have the two 'prey monsters' at the time.......... the boots dug in pretty good!
OMG I know exactly what you mean, we have two Newfies and they are so strong, and a pheasant has done that to me too. I'm glad the boots did their job, I keep thinking back to my accident and as I said I was not doing anything athetic, just walking calmly, I had our two on lead but they were behaving themselves, the ground was level, but the grass was wet, I stopped to turn to look at Rianna (Who I recall had just decided to sit down ) and bang down I went, I put it all down to the rubbish trainers I was wearing
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Ouch! That sounds awful Losos. Glad you're getting back to normal now.

I got some Karrimor Coniston walking boots a couple of months ago and I'm really pleased with them. A good sole, and waterproof so far! Have been out on a few hawking trips in them, through brambly ditches, puddles and over rough fields and there's hardly a mark on them. I got them from Millets in a sale and they were reduced to £50 from £100 but I got another £5 off as they had some messy glueing on the front (not really noticable, but it was worth asking for a cheeky discount!).

It might be worth going to a good outdoor shop and getting measured properly, as apparently walking boots vary a lot in width and construction. It took ages and was a bit embarrassing when the shop didn't have anything in my size and I didn't end up buying from there (and ending up going to Millets!). Hope you find something suitable soon!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Ouch! That sounds awful Losos. Glad you're getting back to normal now.

I got another £5 off as they had some messy glueing on the front (not really noticable, but it was worth asking for a cheeky discount!).
It was b****y painful at the time and I now have a plate with seven little screws on the outside and a three inch length pin on the inside gawd knows what'll happen when I next go through airport security

If that messy gluing on the front does give problems get yourself a 'hot melt glue gun' they are excellant for fixing things like that and loads of other jobs around the house and only cost about £15 I was using mine today to make a cardboard box.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2