Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Colitis and Alfie

hi there could someone help me with the amount of chappie wet food i should be feeding my 3 yr old BT alfie.
for 3 years alfie has suffered with constant bouts of colitis and we have spent lots of money trying to find a dog food that will suit him, we have taken advice and recommendations from everyone and anyone to help him with this painfull condition then 3 months ago my vet told me to try chappie wet, and eurika!!!!!!!! 3 months colitis free. the problem is his weight he needs to lose about 9lbs i have been giving him the recommended (on the can) 400g per day we have now droped it to 350g we will do this for two weeks to see if he loses anything if he doesnt we will go to 300g. this amount seems very sparse but we will carry on until we get results.
oh i will just mention because of his condition he has NEVER had table scraps or snacks between meals that is one big rule everyone follows (wea're not mean, honestly) when we are doing training (recall) on our walks we use roughly 2oz of cooked chicken (throughout the day) but we are now cutting down on the treat reward routine.
so can anyone point me in the right direction on the amount?
we do about 8 miles walking a day on and off lead he also loves the treadmill and will often do 30mins trotting
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 08:35 AM
What is Eurika, is it a dry food. If so can you cut back on it rather than the wet food? Can you get a 'light' version of the foods?

Also get his thyroid checked out, weight gain can be a sign
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:07 AM
sorry, Eurika meaning found a food that works. yes have done the light versions of food, sensitive, all sorts, and as the chappie seems to be working we are sticking to that its just the amount i am uncertain about. Has had bloods checked and thyroid fine.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Ok try little & often. Split his food into 3-4 meals, less for digestion to work on at any given time. He may just have a slow absorbtion rate. I'd try 1/2 - 3/4 tin & see how he does on that.

Colitis is trial & error. Our boy is stable on Pro Plan light. With your boys activity level he will probably need more, its getting balance right. If he hasnt been on the chappie long i'd say give it a chance, probably take 6 or more weeks before he starts to slim down. You dont want to reduce his food so much he scavanges & sets his colitis off.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Sue I am pleased to hear you have Alfie's colitis under control.
You say..

the problem is his weight he needs to lose about 9lbs i have been giving him the recommended (on the can) 400g per day we have now droped it to 350g we will do this for two weeks to see if he loses anything if he doesnt we will go to 300g. this amount seems very sparse but we will carry on until we get results.
you also say Alfie gets a good amount of excercise each day.

The manufactures recommendations are of course only a rough guide .I would feed two meals a day and reduce the food intake very gradually so Alfie will hardly be aware of it. You have only just reduced the amount of food and I would allow a little more than two weeks for a visible result. After four weeks I would check the results and reduce to 325 for another month then see how it goes.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Good advice from Mini.

It was a vet advised us on the 3-4 feeding regime. Once stable you can slip back to 2-3 feeds a day. Harvey is on two.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 09:50 AM
thankyou so much for your feedback i really do appreciate it we have never fed our dogs wet food before so is quite alian to us but if it suits alf we are happy with it, we feed him twice a day and i have taken to pressing some of it in the bottom of his dish so it takes him longer to get through it and savour it more. and yes i agree i need to give it a bit longer than two weeks to see results. thankyou
JeannieB
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2010, 12:48 PM
For weight loss we were told to reduce the daily amount of food by 5% and then we should see a 10% reduction in weight over 9 months.

My Gemma had recurrent colitis & we had success with Fish4Dogs - their cod & potato food did the trick. We give her Sea Jerky treats without any problem too.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 02:09 PM
thankyou for that i dont seem to be far of the mark with the amount i have reduced and he seems to be ok himself (no stealing or eating undesireable things at moment) and will definatley make a note of the food you recommended just incase this turns nasty but at moment he seems very content and well (fingers crossed) did/has your BT had any episodes of "spikes syndrome"? at his worsed alfie has and i have never been so scared, bless him, but touch wood has been ok and no spasm for a while
JeannieB
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I am glad to hear that Alfie seems to be stabilised on his current diet, so like you I wouldn't change things but always useful to know of an alternative.

I've just read up about Spikes Syndrome - it's a new one to me - thankfully. Gemma occassionally seems to have a laryngeal spasm and it only lasts for probably 30 seconds. It was a bit worrying to start with but we find that because it is so irregular and doesn't seem to bother her that we just live with it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >