Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 01:50 PM

Cars wonderful

Hi all,
My car is booked in wednesday for an mot and just realised the tax runs out the end of the month to
Does anybody know about the computorised mot's
According to my dad it's all done by computor now and it's linked straight up to the dvla in swansea,so both they and the police know if your cars got an mot.
Great eh?
Sal
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I didn't know MOT's were computerised - are they do you still get a certificate to take to insure it at the Post Office? mine's up end of the month may get it done this week though. along with a service,
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
yes, you are right Sal, there is an DVLA advertising campaign out on the television at the moment verifying exactly what you have said.

I guess budgeting will come into play for car owners
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Kazz,
You still get a certificate but you also get a sticker for your windscreen to say it has mot on it
Sal
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh thats excellent - wonder what happens to those who haven't Mot's before? or let it lapse?
There again I imagine its a clean sheet, when did that come in? ie how long before I start being able to tell who is legal and who is not
Karen
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Haven't got a clue,but i think its good that they are trying to keep illegal cars and owners/drivers off the road,I think anybody caught without the relavant documents ought to be either banned from driving,or sent to prison depending on history.
Saying that a guy who used to live by us had a terrible history,last time he was done for failing to stop after a rta and got sent to prison for 6 months,but he had a history of 7 times taking a car without the owners consent,30 times no insurance,disqualified from driving twice,drinking and driving and the list went on.
Just hope my car doesn't fail on to much.
Sal
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Hubby's an MOT tester and the new style MOT's are good. The computer actually times how long the test is done for (min 1hr) so if anyone tries to do a dodgy MOT for their mates it just wont happen anymore. However give it time and I'm sure someone will find a way round the computer system

The MOT tester is issued with a swipe card so that the VOSA know how many MOT's a week the tester has done. The new style certificates are a lot easier to read as the tester doesn't write them out now, it's all printed off.

This explains it a bit more
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/Ow...9&chk=%2BBZjfx
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
That looks excellent doesn;t it. Ta Staffy,
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 08:08 PM
No probs Kazz