Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 05:32 PM

Baby Sleep Routine Recommendations

Does anyone have any opinions on any of these?

A friend recommended a Gina Ford contented baby one but someone else recommended a Baby Whisperer one.

Me I just thought you give 'em a cuddle and a feed, whack 'em in the cot and they start knocking back the Z's immediately .... I wish!
gingerboy
Dogsey Junior

02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
The Gina Ford one worked for us, we have a 3 year old and a 8 month old both have slept through since 2-3 months old. By slept through I mean from 9.00pm until 7.00am upto 6 months old and after 6 months old from 8.00pm through till 8/9.00am at the weekends .

We basically took from the book the feeding and sleeping routines, if you follow them you are on your way to getting a decents nights sleep. Initially as you are no doubt aware the first few weeks are very hardwork but from their it does get easier.

Good luck

GB
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
ive never heard of the books i brought mine up the good old fashion way , a bottle , cuddle then sleep and all mine were fine
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
ive never heard of the books i brought mine up the good old fashion way , a bottle , cuddle then sleep and all mine were fine

I would do as Ella's mum but with a warm bath first. It always works.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
No books here either I'm afraid, I did exactly as you said in your opening post!!! and Charlie did fine

I don't know about what the books say but one suggestion, if I may. Don't get into the habit of rocking baby to sleep, then putting down once s/he has drifted off. Try to put him/her down awake to go to sleep themselves. My friend and I had our daughters a month apart, she rocked and cuddled Megan to sleep everytime and as she got older (2 and 3 years), they had terrible trouble getting her to go to sleep unless they stayed with her
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 07:46 PM
one thing i did learn is that all babies are diff you will soon figure out what feels right for you and your little bundle , there are alot of right and wrong books out but my best advice to you is go with the flow what works for some is not always best for you or the other way round
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ella's Mum
Same here most important is getting into a routine then it gets easier I dont think any book can prepare you for the reality of your first baby trust your instincts and you will be fine
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
LOL....didn't know there was books for such a thing..How did my mother cope

Ciaran slept thru the night from 10pm to 6.45am every night since he was 5 days old... He was fed at 10pm laid in his basket and didn't move until OH got up for work.at 6.30am, he then fed him and chnged him and put him back in bed and that ws him until 10am when I got up.. maybe just lucky

Caitlin was the same except she slept thru from about 2 weeks

I believe it's a natural progression and most people just "know" what to do..Every child is different, you just need to do what works
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
No books here either I'm afraid, I did exactly as you said in your opening post!!! and Charlie did fine

I don't know about what the books say but one suggestion, if I may. Don't get into the habit of rocking baby to sleep, then putting down once s/he has drifted off. Try to put him/her down awake to go to sleep themselves. My friend and I had our daughters a month apart, she rocked and cuddled Megan to sleep everytime and as she got older (2 and 3 years), they had terrible trouble getting her to go to sleep unless they stayed with her
Totally agree, exactly the same with me. I was always advised (midwife, health visitor) to put them to bed awake so that they get used to going off to sleep on their own, babies may cry for a bit but they soon get out of the habit. I also have a friend who rocked her son to sleep and even when he was 6 years old she still had to sit at the end of the bed until he dropped off to sleep.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Thank you!
I knew it - it all comes naturally and we don't need some baby-guru telling us which way to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >