View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Stop worrying huni, at the end of the day your doglet was on lead and under control, it was their puppy who was running free and in all honesty I think you were extremely well mannered when this lady came to your door, you shouldn't be worried at all, after all it looks to me as she is the one with no control over her dog not you. If it was me in your sitution I would have told the woman what a bloody cheek she has coming to my door when it was her lack of control and supervision of her puppy that caused the senario to unfold as it did. I would never even consider complaining to somebody that their dog bit mine when my dog approached theirs off leash in such a manner. If her puppy was on a lead it wouldn't have happened. What if the puppy had run into the road and into a car? I guess then she would be holding the driver responsible

I hope you feel better and hope this lady hasn't got to you
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi there

Hope you and your son are feeling ok now? it is a shock when these things happen and I'm sure the owners of the pup were just shocked. I don't know much about the kind of dog you have but as someone has already said puppys will be puppys and as they try and find their feet they don't know how far to push other dogs.... bear this in mind, if a puppy gets too much when its still with its mum then the mother will nip them to tell them...

I'm sure your dog is a sweetheart and was only protecting herself, nothing meant by it at all. Dogs are animals and they have their own way of dealing with things... This prob being your Inca's way of saying 'hang on, steady on a bit little one!!'

I hope things are ok and I'm sure it'll all be fine

Lotsa luv
x
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2006, 07:22 PM
hi!
i think you have nothing to worry about as your dog was on the lead and she was on the walk with a perason who is old and big enough to handle a non-agressive NI...
take care
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. As has already been said, your dog was on lead and under control, if the pup ran straight up to yours then it was the pup out of control and it probably scared your dog into a defensive bite. I would do what someone else already suggested and just pop round to the house tomorrow to check their pup is ok and perhaps just mention to them that your dog was obviously frightened of the pup running up to her out of nowhere.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Your son must be beside himself

I agree with you or your OH taking over the dog walking from now on. At least either of you can deal with things before anything drastic happens.

Luca is the same with young bouncy dogs. A friend of mine has a very friendly staff, and he torments the life out of Luca. If she doesn't want to play, she'll lift her lip and grumble, if my friends dog persists, then she'll give him a bite.

If I remember rightly, Luca kept telling Kristina's Vienna off too
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Just thought I should let you guys know that the ladies concerned are members of dogsey.

Lorna hasn't got access to the net at the moment but she knows about the thread and will be giving her side of the story tomorrow.

Lorna accepts responsibility for her pup being out but her pup wasn't winding the dog up as I have met her and she is the most submissive little thing ever.
Apparently, she tried to be polite and only told Becky about the attack because Inca had attacked Lorna's other dalmatian (elderly and not bouncy) before, that time through no fault of Lorna's.

Blue has some serious bite marks apparently and Lorna didn't want to go to the police about ordering Inca to be restricted without first warning the owners of the attacks so they could choose to take these steps without police interference.

Anyway - I wanted to write this because Lorna's still quite upset - through Blue's injuries and also because she tried to be polite and I have a feeling her post in the morning will be somewhat muddled and possibly aggressive
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments. My son has read through them and he's calmed down a bit now.

Inca is such a big dopey dog, especially with people, and my Son always takes her out after school, they are very, very close, which is why he is so upset. Maybe she was being protective of him, I don't know. Its definitely only a dog thing.

I have told him to take her on a different route for a while as she has obviously decided she doesn't like dallys. At the NI show lots of owners told me they didn't like Staffies and yet she's fine with those, with any dog until this. Being a NI she does suffer with the fact that people do think she's a husky and can't be let off, or that she's a wolf and aggressive.

I do also agree with the one the lead/off the lead comments, as I know I never let her go near dogs who are on the lead if she is out and running free. I don't think its fair to the one on the lead as she'd goad them into playing when they can't.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I had occasion to ring and speak to the dog warden's office myself last week re a dog that is often off the lead and persists in attacking my who are on the lead,obviously I am worried about what could happen if my 2 managed to get away from me (the have dogmatics and leads on for safety).
Upshot of it was, my are on the lead, the other one isn't, so the person with the off lead dog, especially on the road, is the one at fault.
N.I's are like Utes, they are non-aggressive, but if they have had a few instances of dogs running up to them in an agressive manner, they will in the end retaliate, sometimes unfortunately the wrong dog suffers.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Just thought I should let you guys know that the ladies concerned are members of dogsey.

Lorna hasn't got access to the net at the moment but she knows about the thread and will be giving her side of the story tomorrow.

Lorna accepts responsibility for her pup being out but her pup wasn't winding the dog up as I have met her and she is the most submissive little thing ever.
Apparently, she tried to be polite and only told Becky about the attack because Inca had attacked Lorna's other dalmatian (elderly and not bouncy) before, that time through no fault of Lorna's.

Blue has some serious bite marks apparently and Lorna didn't want to go to the police about ordering Inca to be restricted without first warning the owners of the attacks so they could choose to take these steps without police interference.

Anyway - I wanted to write this because Lorna's still quite upset - through Blue's injuries and also because she tried to be polite and I have a feeling her post in the morning will be somewhat muddled and possibly aggressive

to be honest Lottie - If inca was on the lead - the woman doesnt have a leg to stand on as far as I am concerned - I understand her wish to notify the owner and that is responsible however if her pup was loose and got bit then the owner of the ONLead dog is Not responsible and the police will do absoultely nothing.

Just wanted to clarify that - not taking sides as at end of day nobody wants a dog getting bitten - but if it were me and bruno had done this to an offlead dog whilst he was ONlead i would not accept responsibility either as I would be the one with the dog under control.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 12:59 AM
I agree with everyone's comments about the onlead/offlead thing. Its not different to a stranger walking up to you and grabbing your privates as a greeting............you would't be happy and would retaliate, so it's only fair that a dog will too if his personal space is invaded.

However, Becky, I have to ask this, as Inca has now proved that she doesn't like this kind of greeting from other dogs,............ Will you continue to allow her off the lead, not knowing if another dog could show up at any moment, that she may not take a liking to ? It could be fatal next time !
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »