Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
Slightly off topic, but I do think it is important to be able to remove food from a dog. None of my dogs have ever guarded their food. Right from the start I have put my hands in their dish to ADD high value treats or swap for a higher value meal as they are eating. They have viewed my approach as a positive thing. I've done this purely as a safety measure, so that should they pick something up as we are walking, or steal something they shouldn't have, that I could remove the danger without any drama.

Having said that, once I feel that the training/behaviour is secure I do not see any point in interrupting a dog's meal. I certainly don't remove anything that they have been given just for the hell of it. They are allowed to eat their meal in peace, but I am secure in the knowledge that should I (or anyone else) need to remove something, they could.
Agreed, but the point here is that CM thought he could solve the problem by challenging Holly - a known aggressive dog with resource guarding issues. It was bound to end in disaster. We had similar issues with Ben when he came to us just over a couple of years ago, and had we done with Cesar did, we would have lost most, if not all, of our fingers by now! Challenging such a dog is the very worst thing you can do.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-09-2012, 06:15 PM

That's quite a swing.

So now he won't be known just as the dog kicker, but puncher too.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

That's quite a swing.

So now he won't be known just as the dog kicker, but puncher too.
Agreed - and admittedly in self-defence, but later on he kicks Holly. I know it was in the heat of the moment, but I would like to think that I would never kick a dog, unless I was literally fighting for my life, which clearly he wasn't.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:32 PM
The only part I felt anything other than sadness for the dog was the bit where he said 'I didn't see that coming' after referring to the dogs fearful state as relaxed/submissive I think it was...
What a moron, and the owner shouldn't have the dog either!
I did like the it's me or the dog trainners method though, same as what I recommend although I do a few extra things.
Oh and IME some dogs leave the litter with guarding issues, if owners dont know how to deal with them at 8 weeks old then at 3 years they can be really dangerous, again this is owners who don't know any better.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post

Poor Holly
The thing that really upsets me about that video is poor Junior... he looks petrified
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
The thing that really upsets me about that video is poor Junior... he looks petrified
& that bl@@dy illusion collar tight up under her ears
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Agreed - and admittedly in self-defence, but later on he kicks Holly. I know it was in the heat of the moment, but I would like to think that I would never kick a dog, unless I was literally fighting for my life, which clearly he wasn't.
That was *not* self-defence, the dog merely growled she did not attack him or go to attack him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:47 PM
That was *not* self-defence, the dog merely growled she did not attack him or go to attack him.
I was referring to when she actually attacked him ... justifiably IMO ... you will see CM kicking her. Indefensible even in self-defence.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Agreed, the dogs bite was self defence, Cesars strike was antagonistic and he shouldn't be surprised she bit him at all. It's dumb luck that she didn't do more damage really, she had every reason to. Holly actually showed remarkable control in the situation that would have been stressful enough if he'd been doing it behind closed doors without doing it in from of loads of strangers with cameras...
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Poor Junior! I can remember when he got that puppy, he was so cute and confident and now he is a shell of a dog, nothing but fear around his 'master'.
The whole the dog is dominant if he eats like this is a load of tosh! Again, he's a moron!
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »