View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Sore Botty (Older spayed bitch has sore, swollen vulva. How to treat?)

I found Daisy has a very sore and slightly swollen Vulva. Just wondered if anyone elses dog as suffered with this. I have put a little savlon on the sore areas and cut away some of the fur. Any suggestions?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Not sure Katiecoos, Nana Inca do you know? xxx Hope she is better soon
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:03 PM
my dads dog had this once we think she was scooting and made it sore .....how old is she ? and when was her last season if not spayed
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
my dads dog had this once we think she was scooting and made it sore .....how old is she ? and when was her last season if not spayed

She does scoot, but I put that down to her botty being itchy and sore. She is 10 years old and was spayed many years ago. She sometimes gets a little crustyness around her vulva, I think it may be this that has made her sore
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:18 PM
its possible if she has gained some weight she may not be able to get round to wash like she used to my dad has to wash Flora cos she can't reach and its improved a lot now
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes that could be it. Will try giving her a daily bum bath and see if it improves.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:25 PM
my dad uses a warm flannel every morning just to wipe the back end
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, must remember to keep the flannel separate, woudn`t want my husband washing his face with the bum flannel.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi Katiecoos poor old Daisy .. do I remember her having mouth problems?

With older dogs they are sometimes unable to wash themselves properly because of restricted movement , it they have sore mouths it can be due to things like thrush and this is passed back and forth in a vicious circle when they wash themselves .

I find the best thing to do is to wash the little bum in gentle dog shampoo and dry thoroughly then rub in a little Vaseline which makes a waterproof barrier .. if you do this regularly the problem usually clears up very quickly. Also best to make sure little Daisy doesn't have a urinary tract infection, this could make her sore.. and try to ensures that she drinks plenty to dilute the urine .

I use a small ice cream container for the washing purposes, and a roll that looks like kitchen roll but isn't from the supermarket, it can be used when wet.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Katiecoos poor old Daisy .. do I remember her having mouth problems?

With older dogs they are sometimes unable to wash themselves properly because of restricted movement , it they have sore mouths it can be due to things like thrush and this is passed back and forth in a vicious circle when they wash themselves .

I find the best thing to do is to wash the little bum in gentle dog shampoo and dry thoroughly then rub in a little Vaseline which makes a waterproof barrier .. if you do this regularly the problem usually clears up very quickly. Also best to make sure little Daisy doesn't have a urinary tract infection, this could make her sore.. and try to ensures that she drinks plenty to dilute the urine .

I use a small ice cream container for the washing purposes, and a roll that looks like kitchen roll but isn't from the supermarket, it can be used when wet.
Thanks for the advice Mini will try the vaseline and see how it goes.