Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

28-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Alfie, Lakeland Terrier, 5 years old

Alfie, Lakeland Terrier, 5 years old

His Story: Alfie lost his home due to a marriage split; moved in with a Jack Russell bitch. The original owner then went to uni. and left Alfie, but his new owner couldn't cope with 2 dogs. Alfie then moved in with another family for 5 weeks, but terrier nature proved too challenging for his new owners.

Salient Points: Alfie is quite vocal when excited. Can be territorial and growly, but has never snapped or nipped; needs distraction/ substitution management. Not a touchy feely dog, rather aloof ... on his terms. Tail chases when exposed to loud noises, a 'stress reaction'.

Advert: Alfie is a 5 year old 'Working' Lakeland Terrier with terrier character to charm a terrier family and concern non-terrier people. He has moved about of late through no fault of his own. He is neutered and vax'd. He is loving in his aloof way, walks well on the lead and enjoys mixing with dogs outside. Was living with a JRT bitch for 3 months, but she apparently intimidated him (as bitches often do!'). He can be left and doesn't chew inappropriately though does 'kill' soft toys.

Alfie needs an experienced terrier family to help him to unpack his baggage and settle him in. Recent owner took him in for 5 weeks, but never had a terrier before so was 'concerned' by his cheeky terrier ways. Alfie is fluent in many ways where some terriers aren't. He has mixed with young children, but never lived with them. Needs his own space, used to an adult household. Alfie is great and will settle, he just needs understanding with loving, kind boundaries shaped up as he settles and builds trust.

"Please note that this dog is currently in kennels and is also available for foster until a 'forever' home is found".

Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

06-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Alfie - a loving teddy bear - an update by a couple who volunteered to walk our dogs today ...

We took Alfie out for a walk today, what a wonderful dog! The Alfie we met certainly wasn't aloof. He is a a cuddle monster.

Alfie is clearly finding kennel life a bit stressful which he is just showing by being a little timid when he is in his kennel, but he is trying hard to hide it. It must be very noisy and confusing for him. He was a little apprehensive when I took him away from the kennel complex. Alfie was very compliant about it, but I could see that he was a little unsure. Then he found out we were going for a walk, and even better my husband was there with our jack russell. Then it began to show....that little bounce in his step that indicates what a happy boy he can be, and it wouldn't take much to make him happy.

Alfie was very good for me, gentle manners and no pulling on the lead. However, in the space of a few minutes Alfie completely fell in love with my husband and our dog. I have to say, it was mutual. Alfie was so good with our dog. They made friends and walked together very nicely and Alfie was literally following in our dog's every footstep and he was also looking up adoringly at my husband. There were clearly no issues between Alfie and our dog so when we were happy all was going well we let them walk close together. We had little choice, Alfie was desperate to be with his new buddy. They came across a discarded dog treat and both were there, nose to nose sniffing it out, no issues, no posessive reactions, absolutely nothing.

Alfie was such a sweetie today. Friendly and sociable but submissive and showed no signs of trying to overstep the mark. In fact it was quite the opposite.

Alfie is like a wooly teddy bear and we found him to be just as cuddly. For a sensitive, gentle chap like this kennel life must be especially hard. We really hope that he finds a home soon.

Rescue Remedies
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:45 PM
An update from one of our kennel walkers:

"We walked Alfie for the second time yesterday - I have such a soft spot for this pooch. We walked him last week with Ali on our induction - he was fine on the lead then and didn't pull at all once out on the path - very polite if a little subdued.

Today we walked him with Rhona a Staffie bitch and they got on extremely well. Poor Alfie obviously hates the kennel so much he trembles when he is in it, but soon gets into his stride when out walking.

We met Winnie another Staffie on our travels who is a bit more bouncy and curious than Alf - they seemed to be OK to start with but after a minor incident with the style Alfie seemed to get a bit concerned about her and started to bark and cry a bit so Liz walked on ahead with her - it took Alf a little while to calm down, but he soon got back into his stride after some reassuring cuddles and was happy to follow on behind Rhona - and run alongside her on the wider part of the path when we began to see the more playful side of Alf.

Alf is lovely little dog who is obviously struggling in the kennel environment. He is not a confident dog, certainly not a pack leader, but would make a lovely pet for someone with the time to spend to reassure him out of his slightly nervous nature".

"Alfie also had a lovely walk with Scruff this afternoon. They were buddy friends and so when we got back we let them have fun in the paddock together. So lovely..

Closed Thread