Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Distressed by a pigs ear

I bought phoebe a pigs ear as a treat i really wish i hadnt as all she has done for 2 hours is walk up and down the room with it in her mouth whining, its even come with us on our walk. I really tempted to take it of her now. Its like she wants to hide it but can decide where.

Anybody else's doggy do this or is phoebd just weird???
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I would check under your pillow tonight if I were you

Seriously though, our last dog would do the same thing if she didn't want to gnaw on her smokey bone straight away......if she couldn't get into the garden, she would bury it in our bed. Not nice

If she actually doesn't seem happy and is worried about the whole situation, then it may be better not to give her one again.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Im not. She used to stuff them down between the sofa cushions but she cant now as shes not allowed on sofa. Its now under her bed. I put it there but she seams quite happy about it and is now finally lying down.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Yup.... I usually feed my dogs the pigs ears right after a good hunt. I'll give it to them and they'll go separate ways and go hide them and return as they want to chew on them. For my dogs it is sort of like a trophy after the hunt. They also do the same with the feet.

Edit: You should see how high they keep their heads like they're so proud walking around with them.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Mojo our JRT does exactly that

She can never find a place to out it down and whimpers constant usually tinted with Patrick's voice of 'Mo find a place pleeeeeaaaase and shut up

Another quirky of Mojo's is the shape biscuits, the others get one at bedtime....Mojo gets 1,2,3,4 all in her mouth at once runs upstairs and whimpers like mad till they are all safely tucked away..........in our bed its a from me
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Kiki does this with anything Jumbone-like, she's OK with natural chews thankfully though. I personally wouldn't feed Pedigree stuff anyway but if I did, I'd just avoid the foods that triggered this behaviour as it probably is a little stressful for them
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:37 PM
- Whisper does this too! Unfortunately she loves Markies.... ...... which I know aren't the healthiest treats (believe me I've tried to move on to healthy treats but so far the rats have ended up eating them as she firmly rejected them one by one lol) and without fail; she will 'bury' the first one or two Markies under a cushion / blanket before settling down to eat the next one!

When she's not been able to find anywhere she will walk round whimpering just as you describe! When we've been at other people's houses it's become something of a party game - watching Whisper find somewhere to bury the Markies!

Daft dogs!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Mine wallop everything down in seconds to minutes, depending on what it is. This morning Sophie did find a bath puff randomly dropped in the street and it came for a walk with us. She was so proud of her new toy and dropped it a couple of times for me to kick it so she could chase it But mainly it was about parading her prize. Then on the way back she dropped it exactly where she found it and left without a second glance.

There's no reasoning with dog logic because it like:
Owner "Why did you do that?"
Dog "The question should be why not?"
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I would check under your pillow tonight if I were you Seriously though, our last dog would do the same thing if she didn't want to gnaw on her smokey bone straight away......if she couldn't get into the garden, she would bury it in our bed. Not nice

If she actually doesn't seem happy and is worried about the whole situation, then it may be better not to give her one again.
I remember when I had my 2 Cairn terriers that one of them would like to hide things. I gave them a bone each one day and was surprised how quickly Angus had eaten his. When I went to bed that night I laid my head on the pillow to a loud "thwack"! Yes, he had hidden it under my pillow!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 12:07 PM
i wouldnt say its necessary stress...id say its more likely its very high value and 'oh wow!' ... if she got them more often she may not(or may lol) react like this.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >