Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:17 PM

New dog walker

I was out walking today and noticed this woman with 5 dogs. Now I've seen some of these dogs before with a dog walker, she used to walk them for an hour. I assume she has now left this firm and the woman I saw today has taken over her walks.
Well, I've never seen anyone walk so slowly she only walked for 20 minutes maximum and walked a maximum of 0.5 mile.
Would you be happy if your dog walker did this?
I have contacted the firm and suggested they do spot checks on their walkers. Had no reply yet.
If I see it again I shall follow her and inform the dog owners
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Blimey, I have never had the need yet, but if I did, I would expect my two dogs to be not only walked, but taken to a safe place and run!

Were all the dogs from the same family do you know?
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:24 PM
No they aren't.
If they were playing and rushing around it wouldn't have been so bad, but she wasn't even interacting with them
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:32 PM
This is what gives dogwalkers a bad name I dont understand how people can feel like they are doing a good job by just mooching about with them!?

If its horrible weather or if im feeling poorly then admitedly i do just take my lot to the park BUT i play ball with them ( i get through a bag of P@H tennis balls a week!) and throw frizzbees and stuff to give them a really good run! And the owners are aware that this is the plan and that they may not get a full hour... If anyone had a problem with it I am sure they would let me know!

Surely as owners you would be able to tell when your dog hasnt had a good run? People arent stupid

Did she load them all back in the van after 20 mins then?
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Yep, she had a 4x4 with a dog guard, loaded them all up together in the back.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:39 PM
5 dogs all in the same boot!?

riiighhtt...

I take 4 dogs at a time at most! Ive got a mercedes estate and I rarely even have 3 in the boot (only if they are particularly stinky!!) Normaly 2 in the boot and one/two on the back seat in harnesses
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 06:45 PM
When I was at the park once I noticed a dog walking business van parked there and there were 2 staff members with about 10 dogs but the staff were just standing near the river chatting. We walked all around the park and back again and they hadn't moved!

However, I do know someone who does a dog-walking business and they do actually walk the dogs for ab hour. We had them once for Cherry and Parker when my parents house-sat for us when we were on holiday.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
When I was at the park once I noticed a dog walking business van parked there and there were 2 staff members with about 10 dogs but the staff were just standing near the river chatting. We walked all around the park and back again and they hadn't moved!

However, I do know someone who does a dog-walking business and they do actually walk the dogs for ab hour. We had them once for Cherry and Parker when my parents house-sat for us when we were on holiday.
I've seen that plenty of times, dog walkers just meeting up and chatting.
I am a dog walker, but only doing it part time and walking no more than two dogs at a time.
I had one chap ring me up and say he had hidden in his neighbours and caught his dog "walker" popping in and letting the dogs out in the garden for 10 minutes, then driving away. They were supposed to be walked for an hour!!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I have contacted the firm and suggested they do spot checks on their walkers. Had no reply yet.
If I see it again I shall follow her and inform the dog owners
If it was one of the franchises like K9 then don't hold your breath, I really don't think that they're interested. I had a much more serious concern than this with one of their franchisees and didn't get a reply.

J.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2011, 09:26 AM
No reply as yet