Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm a canicrosser in training!

I live in the north east (Co. Durham) and I'm experiencing the same problems as you... there's just not that much interest up here yet, so zero training groups. I have heard on the grapevine that there will possibly be events in Cumbria and Northumberland, later in the year. Sign up to the CaniX UK mailing list for event updates.

A little tip to help you find other canicrossers in your area is to go along to your local Parkrun, if you have one (See http://parkrun.com/home.aspx to find your nearest event), as they allow runners with dogs. There are a lot of "human" charity and fun runs that also allow runners with dogs... it's a good place to start to meet like minded people.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Ours wear padded shoulder harnesses. Don't compete, just for fun & for when off-lead running isn't safe for them. I've tried to get my OH to enter an event as he runs half marathons anyway but no luck so far. Lancashire is a bit too far away to train for us as we're in Co. Durham.
Hope you get some interest.
I'm in Co. Durham, too!

Whereabouts are you?
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by honeytone View Post
I'm in Co. Durham, too!

Whereabouts are you?
Chester-le-Street.
You don't get on Waldridge Fells do you, seen a few beagle walkers up there
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Cheers for that, ive found a park run, got a training plan off the internet, and it starts tomorrow. Fingers crossed we get a few more people starting.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Chester-le-Street.
You don't get on Waldridge Fells do you, seen a few beagle walkers up there
I'm just up the road from you, in Consett!

No, it wouldn't have been us on Waldridge Fells. That's somewhere I've never thought of going for walks, I'll have to check it out sometime.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
Cheers for that, ive found a park run, got a training plan off the internet, and it starts tomorrow. Fingers crossed we get a few more people starting.
Fantastic! Yes, it would be great to get a couple of northern training groups going, even if it's just for fun!

Which training plan are you going to do? I'm new to running in general and I'm just over 2/3 of the way through the Couch-to-5k plan. It's been really good. I can now manage 2.5 miles, no bother. Seven weeks ago I had difficulty running to the end of the street. Once I'm comfortable doing the 5k (3.1 miles), I'll be going along to my local Parkrun. Murphy and I have already signed up for a 5k Race for Life, in July.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Fabulous, well done on getting to 2.5 miles. My Cani X harness has arrived now, so were getting to grips with training. I found a training schedule on the internet which basically get you walking and running 3/4 times a week over 6 weeks to 5k, then I will be looking to enter into the Park Run. I just hope I can find some people to share this experience with. Eve my Irish Water Spaniel is loving her red and black harness, so funny.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi, just wondering how everyone is getting on with their adventures in Canicross? Dates for the new CaniX season have been announced, so if you're looking for a goal for all that training...

Murphy and I are up to the point where we are running 3-5 miles, three times a week. We're enjoying it greatly and I have definitely caught the running bug! For the most part we run on our own, but we met up with a lovely bunch of canicrossers from Scotland when they had a canicross camping weekend at Kielder Forest Park, Northumberland, last month. For me, that moved everything up a gear... it was an amazing feeling and very motivating to run in a group with other canicrossers, so much so, I managed a 6 mile trail run that weekend! Hopefully the camping trips are going to be a regular monthly thing, but I would love to find a local group to run with weekly or even fortnightly. Sadly I don't have the time to commit to starting and promoting a group myself and even at parkrun, I've not come across any other runners with dogs.

On a positive note, it seems that CaniX are getting the message that there is a demand for events in the North and Scotland.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wearywolf View Post
Hi

Ive been looking into Cani Cross for a while now, and its still a very southern based sport. There doesnt seem to be any up here in the north west? Is there anybody interested in joining me and setting up a training club? Will be good fun, getting fit with the dogs.

Cheers
i'd be interested in starting a club. i posted last week about clubs in the northwest, specifically in Manchester, but there is none.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
i'd be interested in starting a club. i posted last week about clubs in the northwest, specifically in Manchester, but there is none.
My oh might be interested with Keisha, it's just her focus when she's around other dogs...i'm not sure if she can do it, fitness wise she's fine... I'll ask him. We're near Leigh, West Manchester x
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »