Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Sibling rivalry - I am panicking?

I am just in the process of buying two Cocker puppies from the same litter (sisters) I have had Cockers for 32 yrs so not a novice.
However I have read and been told that buying siblings is not a good idea regarding both sibling rivalry, training and development, I am sure I have heard of many people with sibling dogs together, i am really worried as I am very keen to have these two puppies, but I dont want a nightmare...does anyone have siblings and how did they behave suggestions please............I am tempted to take just one puppy now but I work 3 days a week and despite poss problems , feel one alone is still ukind
They will be 9 weeks when we get them and the only advice is to make them do virtually everything seperately to produce mentally well rounded puppies
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Toty View Post
I am just in the process of buying two Cocker puppies from the same litter (sisters) I have had Cockers for 32 yrs so not a novice.
However I have read and been told that buying siblings is not a good idea regarding both sibling rivalry, training and development, I am sure I have heard of many people with sibling dogs together, i am really worried as I am very keen to have these two puppies, but I dont want a nightmare...does anyone have siblings and how did they behave suggestions please............I am tempted to take just one puppy now but I work 3 days a week and despite poss problems , feel one alone is still ukind
They will be 9 weeks when we get them and the only advice is to make them do virtually everything seperately to produce mentally well rounded puppies
Nothing to do with sibling rivalry-two same age bitches can & frequently do have major problems caused by their hormones & once they fall out they stay that way for life.

What is the breeder thinking of selling you two puppies, especially bitches from the same litter ?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree with Joedee and would also add, any decent breeder wouldnt even dream about homing two litter mates together..
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:41 PM
So would you suggest I give backword on one? the general consensus is NOT to have two.
I had mother and daughter all their lives and whilst they had their 'moments' they stayed very tolerant...could this not happen again....is there any way around this ???
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Toty View Post
So would you suggest I give backword on one? the general consensus is NOT to have two.
I had mother and daughter all their lives and whilst they had their 'moments' they stayed very tolerant...could this not happen again....is there any way around this ???
we have two mum and daughter sets here, as we kept the daughters to show..and we have never had a problem either, infact for one of them sets we also have the dad .. a right little happy family, but thats not the point the point is bringing in two pups of the same age and at the same time.
pups are more likely to depend on each other because they have been together from birth, there hormones when growing up as both females could cause them to 'fall out'.
Plus its hard work brining up two well balanched dogs!
Its up to you what you do, but please bare in mind you could be setting yourself up for a disaster.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't advise it. I had 2 patterdale puppies from the same litter with mum on foster. The pups were around 5 months old and I've never seen playfighting so rough. They would really go full on at each other, but when they were playing with my Labrador you could see the difference.I also found it hard to train both at the same time, as they used to find each other much more entertaining. As soon as one pup left I found things much easier with mum and just one pup. Within 7 days of the other puppy leaving I had Momo doing the basics. Which I had been failing at for 2 weeks previous.
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the reply..I guess the answeris obvious, though I have had some positive comments elsewhere such as letting my husband train one seperately and 'show who is boss' my mother and daughter dogs did fight some times always ovwr something I had dropped..would it be worse than that ...sorry but I am hoping something MIGHT be possible

o.k another question ...would a pup of 10 - 12 weeks be o.k alone 3 days a week with all poss conveniences including where nes rabbit companions albeit in cages, yes I am clutching at straws
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Forgot to add the mum and Momo were fine with each other and the play was also different with them. Momo knew mum was boss and would give in instantly.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Personally I do think taking two litter sisters is a bad idea. Either the pups bond really closely to the exception of the owner, otherwise they get to a certain age and size and then decide they despise each other Of course there will be exceptions to the rule and I am sure there will be people out there who have same sex siblings who get on just fine, but I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Why not voice your concerns to the breeder and ask whether it would be okay to have just one pup (or alternatively have a dog pup and a bitch pup if you have the time to train and bond with each individually). You could always also consider rescuing an older cocker spaniel as a companion or get another pup at a later date when your first one has matured and been well trained.

From experience, my husband bred a litter of working collies and kept three to run on and see which would be suited to hill work on our farm. Unfortunately as the two litter brothers matured they fought like mad, and we eventually had to find one a new and good working home before it got out of hand. We have however kept the litter brother and sister and they get on fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:12 PM
OH dear, guess you are right , how very disappointing....
Do you think a young puppy could stand being alone 3 days a week
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >