View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Happy Dogs Happy Winners, the first edition even has the same cover as another of her books called something like "anyone can train their dog" very odd.

Anyway, I have to say I may have been hasty with comments on the Mary Ray DVD. It was basic and dull but not full of nonsense as many others are.

Also I was a little big headed in buying the Novice to Crufts, thinking I new the basics already.
I didn't realise there are competition levels below Novice as I know very little of the obedience world.

I only ever did a few companion shows in the 90's with my GSD.

Anyway, in light of not finding anything else that's not sugar coated with nonsense I've decided to buy the puppy to novice to ensure I get the basics right.
I don't really suppose I would get passed the level of beginners or novice anyway, working with a lab and having no experience.

I wonder if I'm the first person ever to disagree with his own review
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, it is confusing. Logically, Novice should mean new or beginner. Perhaps that was the original first stage before beginners and pre-beginners was introduced? Anybody know?
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Pretty much yes, beginners was added later so new handlers were not competing against people who had been successful with a previous dog.
So I for instance would be competing against Mary Ray if she had a new dog. Pre was added later to make it more accessible to new comers.
Obedience uk has all the info, it's worth getting the judges and stewards handbook and a copy of the G regs off the kennel club.
They are only a few quid, worth it of you are going to be competing.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Cheers Obbie. I have printed out the G Regs from the KC website. (Cheapskate )
lindyloo
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Just putting in my twopennorth a bit late....Happy Dogs, Happy Winners by Angela White, was printed in 1994, at a time when most professionals were still training with choke chains and aversion. In that context it's a brilliant book, but is now dated. I do still re-read my copy (yes, I paid full price for it in 1994!) and, allowing for stuff which has obviously moved on, there is still some good common sense advice to be taken from it. What she refers to as "the want" we now call motivation and it's how we all train, so credit where it's due for one of the people whohelped change the face of dog training.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Sylvia Bishops books and videos are still very popular.
So they might be worth a look, she is credited in changing the way dogs are trained today in obedience.
Tessababy
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 02:59 PM
sorry i disagree, Mary's dvd's excellent way to learn and worth every penny.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-08-2017, 06:18 PM
"Imagine a world where the leash is optional" is part of their promotional message. (The DVD is free - except for carriage costs.)

It isn't an issue for us. But it may help some owners.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3