Our sister sites
Our sister sites
animalsoulstice
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Noisy, Gurgling Stomach Problems

Hello all,

I'm new here, hope you don't mind me getting straight in to a rather pressing problem!

I have a springer spaniel, Willow, we think she is a bout 4 years old now being a rescue. She has had reoccuring stomach problems, the gurgling noises are always first thing in the morning, at which point I let her out and she will often eat grass, very rarely being sick though. She has started to get this 1 - 2 times a week, the vet gave her probiotics but this doesn't seem to help. She has cried going to the toilet, always the first one, this has occured 3 times this year so not so frequent. She doesn't get constipation or diaohrea. I increased her fibre to 7% and she has been taking evening primrose oil to perhaps ease the transition. But I am more concerned about the gurgling noises and what this means, any ideas? She is fine all night then all of a sudden it starts quiet loudly! She is on a dry food, burgess for sensitive stomachs, which I often soak for her. I wonder if it is this and I should put her back on tinned food?

Thanks for your help

Rozz
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 07:55 AM
It could be her stomach is empty so a biscuit last thing at night and as soon as she gets up may help stop it.
A lot of dogs get acid build up which can be uncomfortable and cause this.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 08:05 AM
My Freya had a very similar problem.. on a regular basis.

She never had probs with her poo... but would often bring up bile and wouldn`t eat anything first thing. We started feeding her a tiny amount before bed time... which did seem to help a great deal... but the problem has seemed to decrease the older she got.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Rozz welcome to Dogsey.

How many meals a day are you feeding? Dogs with tummy troubles seem to do better on a number of small meals each day of moist rather than dry food.
animalsoulstice
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

I give Willow a probiotic biscuit just before bedtime and I feed her twice a day, I could try giving her a smaller meal later on as I didn't think of the acid aspect. I read that giving plain yoghurt also calms the stomach down which I blended with rice which seemed to help a bit, but I would like to stop it altogether. Can anyone suggest food that might help? I thought the sensitive one would help but she has been on this for a few months now.

Thanks again.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
It could be her stomach is empty so a biscuit last thing at night and as soon as she gets up may help stop it.
A lot of dogs get acid build up which can be uncomfortable and cause this.

Yes I agree, maybe a piece of toast or something a little more than a biscuit last thing at night.

Ginger is good for upset tummies also, i give my boy a ginger biscuit when he has a bout of IBD..

Also it may help if you add natural pro biotic yoghurt to her daily meals
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 10:40 AM
My little Milo gets excess acid so I feed him 4 times a day. He also cannot tolerate dry foods at all and can only eat certain wet foods.
animalsoulstice
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks.

I went straight out and bought Willow some ginger biscuits! I think you're right with the acid given that she is fine the rest of the day. I am thinking of changing her over to NatureDiet as I always thought dry food was better but I don't think her stomach agrees! Perhaps giving it in smaller amounts too.

Thanks again.
drmark
New Member!
Male 

06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
most often this is a maldigestion problem. probiotics are sometimes helpful, but often not without the addition of stomach digestive enzymes. example, bromalin and papain
often using papaya will help
dr mark
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi there. My last dog who had severe gastric problems was much better off being fed little and often so that he stomach was never really empty and the digestive system copes much better with smaller meals than even 2 a day. Live yoghurt is also good. Her stomach used to rumble loudly, especially in the evenings, and she'd turn her head around and stare at her flanks, or stare into space, does your dog do this too? I think this is a sign of pain in the stomach too. If you haven't tried Chappie, then I would recommend that you give that a go. Vets highly recommend it for upset tums, and see how she does on it. You can always add some nice tasty meat with it which I do, I cook up chicken breasts and mix some of that in with it. I think it's brilliant stuff for upset tums. Good luck, I hope it settles down for her, and I'm also glad you don't get the diarrhea with it. The eating of the grass is also what my dog would do every single morning or in the evening when I let her out in the garden. It's their way of calming their stomach's down and it usually works, they always know best! Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >