Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by black666 View Post
Ok here we go bare with me as this story is confusing!!!

My partners (Gavin) cousin phoned to say she had a 8 month old rottie that she needed rid of asap if not she would drown it or get it shot! This being said she not the most truthful person ( due to drug abuse 'ex' that is ha ha) so gavin panicked and agreed to take the dog, however..... when he arrived 150 miles away to her house the 8 month had gone and ziva 9 weeks old was there!!!! Dont ask what happened to the other dog we dont no! Gavin feared and being so soft took home the pup. Since then we have had no probs with her untill yesterday. We no that she got the pup from a breeder but not 100% sure who.

Hope you can understand this as its real hard to explain.

ps Gavins cousin has four kids and the eldest said that they only just got the pup 3 days before gavin picked her up.
Hi Black, my goodness, am I reading this correctly, you have had this puppy for week,
her origins are uncertain, she spent three days in a strange house with 4 children,
..in the week since you got her she has had a problem with her ears and drops in them, a problem with her tummy, a vaccination at the vets where a strange person took her, two sessions with a trainer, you are 'trying to begin recall,

I think if I was a ten week old puppy and all this was happening to me I would be getting very snappy too.

Puppies need time to settle, to feel secure and to bond with their owners. It sounds to me as though there has been too much going on for this little puppy added to which it has not been feeling well.
ElaineP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Black, my goodness, am I reading this correctly, you have had this puppy for week,
her origins are uncertain, she spent three days in a strange house with 4 children,
..in the week since you got her she has had a problem with her ears and drops in them, a problem with her tummy, a vaccination at the vets where a strange person took her, two sessions with a trainer, you are 'trying to begin recall,

I think if I was a ten week old puppy and all this was happening to me I would be getting very snappy too.

Puppies need time to settle, to feel secure and to bond with their owners. It sounds to me as though there has been too much going on for this little puppy added to which it has not been feeling well.

I think that this summary of events has hit the nail on the head. We have all been caught up in thinking about how Black666 will cope with a large breed dog like this and the stigma of inexperienced owners with such breeds that we have lost sight of the puppies needs too.
Thankyou Minihaha for putting it in perspective.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I might have misunderstood... But is this dog/puppy trained on an electric collar??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

Originally Posted by ElaineP View Post
I think that this summary of events has hit the nail on the head. We have all been caught up in thinking about how Black666 will cope with a large breed dog like this and the stigma of inexperienced owners with such breeds that we have lost sight of the puppies needs too.
Hi Black to add to my post above (which I should have said was intended as an observation not a criticism) if this was my puppy what would I be doing with it.
I would not be expecting a lot of it until it had settled in and got used to its new home and I would not be having one to one sessions with trainers or teaching recall until it had received a second vaccination/was well/and had started to learn to trust me, the latter is the basis of good training.

To help to achieve this I would be sitting on the floor and gently playing with the puppy getting it used to being handled first around the chest area (avoiding sore ears for now) and teach it the basics like sit /down and giving lots of praise and a treats whenever possible including when it comes to you.

Here is an article by one of our members on basic puppy training..
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I might have misunderstood... But is this dog/puppy trained on an electric collar??
No.............
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6