Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 10:27 PM

intact dogs and bitches on heat

ok, the situation.. one person has an intact male off lead, and one person has an on heat bitch off lead. Who is in the wrong?

The woman i met the other day with the intact akita said that while her dog was offlead, another womans bitch on heat, an alsation was off lead and the two dogs ended up tying cos they couldnt get them apart quick enough. Anyway, this woman doesnt kno if the bitch is pregnant, but says 'its her fault for havin the bitch off lead and the pups will be v.beautiful, if any'.

Its hard to say who is at fault? maybe both? and it annoys me when people jus say 'the pups will be beautiful' when even if they will they make get health probs and stuff.

For example there was a woman at work who purposely bred a weim with somethin, cant remember wot, but jus said the pups wud be beautiful and everyone would want one.

whats everyones views on this. obv the second case is slightly diff from the first cos the first was an accident
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 10:34 PM
well if i had a bitch and she was in season she would not only be on the lead at all times but i would only walk her in deserted places either very early or very late as it would be me and my dog who would have expense and stress of resulting puppies if an accident occurred
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't walk my girls when they are on heat !!!! one reason I don't want stray dogs following the scent home and secondly with the vulva swollen and open ready for mating I would not want her to pick up an infection !!! I would think that the bitch owner would be at fault as an entire male out walking has no come back ...........
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 10:52 PM
what about in the case where the bitch is on lead and the intact male offlead? would the owner of the bitch still be at fault
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 10:54 PM
well i think as inca said its not a good idea to take an on heat bitch out. everyone i know with bitches keep them in or walk them late at night when they are in heat. i have an entire male and when i am walking him over the fields i wouldnt know if a dog in the distance is on heat but i reckon max would and then what could i possibly do?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 11:05 PM
he would smell her 1000 yards away LOL ..... I know people who do walk there girls when on heat but personally I don't even late at night as the risk of an infection is too high whether your planning to breed or not.....I personally think the dog owner wasn't to know the bitch was ready to mate so not really her fault if the bitch is being walked in a public area.... surly the bitch owner would be aware that another dog was approaching knowing her bitch was in season ......mind boogles Jen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I didn't walk Teagan whilst she was on heat!
I felt awful, cos she really wanted to go out, but I didn't want to risk anything, especially not puppies!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 11:09 PM
just to add I would take full responsibily if it happened to me she would be down the vets like a shot to be jabbed .....and i would feel the dog wouldn't be to blame
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 11:10 PM
i would hate for max to have to appear on trisha taking a paternity test cos somebody had their bitch out on heat
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2005, 11:10 PM
it's not worth the risk Hevver .... puppies or a nice womb infection and all those nice strays sniffing her scent to your front door.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >