View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 02:09 PM
two hands on the lead if she pulls I use a shorter lead and I may stop if she is doing it too much but it doesn't work well when she pulls I just keep her on a shorter lead.
This isn't going to teach her not to pull. And it won't matter to her how long the leash is, if she thinks pulling works she'll pull. How have you tried to teach her to walk on a loose leash?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Pippam - if your dog is food orientated as you have said on another post.... should you not put "two and two together" as they say.

If you had actually gone to training classes you could of already started the process and could have a dog that walks much better on lead. However, personally I think with all the good advice previously given to you by other members on previous threads you have started, you just seem to want to make excuses as to why you/your dog can't do X,Y or Z.
I have tried getting her focused on food when out and about but how she acts at home and how she acts outside almost makes her two different dogs.

Once again I must say that had I taken her to training classes it would not improve her habbits while out on the lead just make her walk well in a controlled space which she would do at home ass I keep saying in a group she is fine I don't get any bad habbits from her just when out on my own. Training takes time and pationce its not done over night I have also stated in other threads how well she is comming along she is being braver about meeting other dogs and I must say pulling is not that much of problem for me its more that when she doesn't want to go she won't I find more puzzling. I introduced her to some people today and while she wasnt happy about them touch her she was happy to be in their prescence. She is brave enough let people say hello and make fuss but doesn't like to be petted by strangers (she isn't agressive anymore im happy to say in the last couple of months she has really come out of her shell))

I think the walk is something she will have to get in her own time and ill just have to keep makeing it an enjoyable experience for her as slowly improves.

This isn't going to teach her not to pull. And it won't matter to her how long the leash is, if she thinks pulling works she'll pull. How have you tried to teach her to walk on a loose leash?
She stays on a short lead in public paths so she doesn't get near the road I found today she pulled when we went down hill so I walked slower and stopped when she started to pull too hard and this seemed to work, when I went onto the green along the seafront it was deserted so I gave her a loose lead and she was fine and didn't seem to pull at all she is getting better she just isnt going to get fixed over night.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I am afraid I find it impossible to understand the post the way you have put it.

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
And I ask again.......what makes you think that CM can understand dog language?
Just the way he works with them
Thank you for answering - I guess that is how it looks isn't it
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 06:24 PM
How do you think he works with them exactly Pippam?

Why does he use various "accessories" on dogs to get the desired behaviour(s)? Why does he feel the need to constantly be touching the dogs, in often an aggressive or rough manner to get a "result"?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Thank you for answering - I guess that is how it looks isn't it

Hmmm Well don't forget the off camera use of e collars etc etc especially when timed with the Sssh the dog quickly learns that Sssh means pain
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I dont think putting Pippam on the spot like this will help anyone least of all Pippam & her dog. Its likely to put her off coming to the thread at all. From what i have read she isnt applying any of CMs tactics anyway. Is it not better to try & help with problems folk may have with their dogs rather than condemn them for liking a celebrity trainer

Folks - is there no one near Pippams area who could help her or could recommend a good trainer?
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Hmmm Well don't forget the off camera use of e collars etc etc especially when timed with the Sssh the dog quickly learns that Sssh means pain
Or the kick at the face that comes after the camera has been conviently flipped to another scene

(Had to add it was a video shown on one of the threads here)

ETA: I don't know how old the thread is, was brought to the last page when clicked and noticed JoedeeUK post and had to add.

I had no intention of putting anyone on the spot with my post and if it has felt like i'm having a go at them by saying what I have it was by no means intentional and I apologise xxx
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I dont think putting Pippam on the spot like this will help anyone least of all Pippam & her dog. Its likely to put her off coming to the thread at all. From what i have read she isnt applying any of CMs tactics anyway. Is it not better to try & help with problems folk may have with their dogs rather than condemn them for liking a celebrity trainer

Folks - is there no one near Pippams area who could help her or could recommend a good trainer?
Many of us did (including SmokeyB I think too) and she turned our advice down many times.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I can sympathise with you Pippam, my boy is a puller and I really struggle with him. I end up being tense before we even go out as I know how its going to be. He goes out four to five times a day and every time, I'm constantly working to try and get him to stop pulling, doing the 'turnaround' thing when the lead goes tight and end up going dizzy. Ive also tried planting my feet in the ground and holding the lead tight against my body and not going anywhere as soon as he pulls, wait till the lead goes loose and then set off, straight away, he pulls again.

He actually pulled me over yesterday and I went ar$e over t!t. I must have looked a right state, lying in the back street, in the rain, with a dog on top of me with his tongue down my ear Today? Back on his halti

When he's offlead, he's great, his recall is fab, he's not really that bothered with other dogs and people yet on the lead he's like a steam train - I think he thinks he's a sled dog and I'm the sled

So, I know what you are going through, it's really hard work and can make you dread walks, when you should look forward to them xx

Just like to add, my Goldie walks like a dream on the lead
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:09 PM
While we are still venturing off topic, there's something I'd like to mention. Pippam has said her dog is good at the training classes, in the hall, but is like a different dog outside.

Dogs are NOT good at generalisation. They do learn to behave well in a class but don't necessarily bring that over to the rest of their experience of life. That's the owner's job, and having been to training classes once where this wasn't pointed out, I would say any class that doesn't also educate its clients on this very simple piece of dog psychology isn't doing a good job.

Pippam, have you been to classes yourself with the dog? What have the trainers said about working with the dog outside of class?

What has the trainer you got in, said...? Can you honestly say you have been doing your homework? One class a week will not change a dog (except perhaps inside the hall for that half hour, or hour).

Any training classes that don't encourage you to practise, outside of class, anywhere, on the pavement, in your home, in the park, on the bus.... isn't really helping.

And I do have to say, out of most of the people I have encountered while going to training classes, around 90% haven't done anything much beyond the weekly class... It's just not enough, it needs to be a daily routine at least until the puppy is 1 year or more. A puppy of 5 months needs a lot of work and guidance to become a good dog, all the extra work put in at that age will make a great adult dog.
Page 98 of 102 « First < 48 88 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 > Last »