Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I Feel sooooo guilty about my blackbirds

...... coz Mum has brought all 4 babies right up to the back door, under the hedge where the feeders are, and I've been going a bit overboard throwing the mealworms out there for them! They've been sitting there waiting, and they don't bother to move away when I go out there, BUT, they've eaten them all now that's 2kgs in only 7 days!!!! Dave thinks I'm nuts spending £18 on 2 kgs of live mealworms, but he doesn't realise the pleasure I get out of watching them all tucking in. It's only because it's the breeding season that I'm doing this though. The robin, sparrows and blackbirds are stuffing their beaks constantly with them to fly off to the nest, in fact just about everything is lapping them up, apart from the greenfinches who prefer the sunflower hearts.

I ordered another job lot last night, so hopefully, they'll be here in the morning's post. Poor little babies, they're sitting out there looking up at my window waiting for me, but I don't have any

Would they eat cold chicken if I cut a bit up really small? This is awful, I feel soooooo guilty I know not to throw any bread out there They're having a little sunbathe now, probably in the hope that they'll get some more for tea, but they won't!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:50 PM
awwwww!!! your like mummy blackbird!!!!

can you not get any from a local pet store?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL, mama H.......I`m sure they will last till tomorrow.....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Lol! When I told mum this morning, she laughed and said, "well, I suppose they're your family coz you don't have any"!!!!! What's she like! Now I know I love my dogs and other animals, but I do draw a line at being mama blackbird! Lol! Such a sad life I lead isn't it!!!!

What about some cheese then? Maybe some of Dave's Special K all scrunched up??? I'm serious here!!!!! She's depending on me that mother, she's only left them here with me coz she knows I'm feeding them and she can do other things! Lol!

Where's that van????!!!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Fingers crossed you get the delivery soon, I can imagine they are the chubbiest baby blackbirds around
I don't know what else you could feed!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 01:06 PM
how about mince meat? they are protieny and look like works...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:01 PM
You won't believe this, but I just went to the kitchen sink, looked out of the window to see them all sitting there looking up, plus I've now got 2 baby sparrows as well as the blackbirds, and one of the blackbirds just flew up to the window, landed on the sill outside and just sat there staring in at me!!!! Talk about tugging at my heartstrings!!!!

Oh well, I'll be opening that pack of frozen mince now - please don't tell me I need to cook it for them too!!!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Awwwww H Blackbirds are my favs too.Good on you hun,piccies too please,xxxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Awww...bless your heart Aitch. You're such a sensitive soul. I'm sure they'll be fine until Mama Blackbirds delivery arrives tomorrow. They'll all be queued up in the drive waiting for the delivery van.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Well there I was preparing Dave's tea, he likes corned beef, and I thought, hmmmm, this is nice and soft and it's protein, so they've had corned beef and they love it!! Poor Dave, he's dipped out yet again!!!!

I hope they come tomorrow though, and I'm going to put in another order mid-week so this doesn't happen again!

I'll try and get some pics of them all sitting there in a row like they do waiting for their meal I hope they don't want to move in!!!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »