Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
We are seriously looking at getting some CCTV my OH has been looking on E bay but now you said we can get them at Maplins. What he wants is 3 cameras link to a self contained unit that can be on our LAN either by ethernet or wireless and that has the picture time and date stamped.

I had a look on the maplins site and they have got that type of unit. My OH will be going down and make them lads that work there make their heads spin when he wants to know how it all works and what he can do with it.
sounds like me with the first one i had them put it all together for me after that it was easy they are very helpful at maplins and usually have a pretty good knowledge on the cameras, i just have one upstairs run to a video and through a date and time generator, the one downstairs through the tv so i don't have to get up and answer the door and can see who lets there dogs poop on the lawn and go and yell at them the other is at the back keeping an eye on the car and garage(which houses my gorgeous xjs ) i would be interested to know if you can get it to run throught the computer though, would you let me know how much and if it works??thanks
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Aw thats a shame for you theres nothing worse, as Kye says scum bags, glad you and the dogs are fine.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 03:22 PM
crikey marie ............sorry to hear this
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
i would be interested to know if you can get it to run throught the computer though, would you let me know how much and if it works??thanks
Looking at the systems on the maplins site some have ethernet connection so it should be able to stream live feeds direct to the pc via the router and with this connection will be able to be added to our network to access the avi files it makes so the unit it's self once set up can stay in the loft out of the way so by the looks of it all we should be able to control it from downstairs but will let you know in any case.

Knowing my OH a pc upgrade is on the cards as well because he'll what a seperate window on the desktop showing all three cameras while surfing so he can watch all round the house and that means a bigger processor and more ram.

Thank you Inca i'm getting through it slowly just takes time to stop hearing things never know that the house makes so much noise when you listen to it (i'm not talking to it yet)...LOL
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh leo i am sorry, what a horrible experience for you all. Glad you are all ok though - to a certain point.

I have cctv it just a cheap one from argos, but it serves us ok. It is linked to the video and records as soon as it picks movement up outside my house. If i hear a noise outside (we have druggies very close to our house), i just flick the tv over and i can hear and see all that is going on.

The other thing i did, was put lights up with sensors as i am on my own quite alot. If i hear a noise and the outside lights are on i know someone/something has triggered them off. Then i have a really good look. Likewise if i think i hear something and the lights are not on i know it is not close to my house and gives me peice of mind.

A friend of mine was burgled in the daytime and she had 5 newfoundlands loose in the house at the time. It was when she was out.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear this bad news Leo,I know how you are feeling,we were burgled last year.Its a horrible feeling.I hope they catch the b******s that done this to you and your family,and thank god no one was hurt.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Leo

Really sorry to read your news, how dreadful!!! Some people take the easy way of earning a living

I just had a thought, and forgive me if it has already been mentioned - but did you have any credit card statements or bank account statements that could have been accessible?

The reason why I say this is that my neighbour was burgled a few months ago, and they only took a few items to make it look like that's all they wanted but actually they wrote down his credit card number and a week later his card was maxed out by the thieves going on an online spending spree - the credit card company managed to catch it before it got out of hand and it was dealt with by insurance just fine, but thought it worth mentioning.

Really sorry to read this post though Leo, having one's home invaded is not so nice.

Big hugs to you and your doggies.
xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Funny you should mention that maplecottage when we went to fill the car up yesterday i had to sign for the petrol instead of doing the pin.

We got our house insurance with our bank so i wonder if they have flagged our account to watch just incase anything like you said happens. (would of helped if the silly girl behind the counter looked at the signature)
Instaed of wondering why the meachine asked for a signature instead.

Nothing like that was taken thankfully my bag was hidden under my coat where i dumped it when i got in from work any docs that are not for keeping get shreaded.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5