View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
My house always smells of fish. After seared scallops on Weds night and grilled monkfish I've decided to ban cooking fresh fish in the house.

5 days on and it still stinks!

I'm off to soak me some comfort ;o)
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Fab tips, i was just thinking about this this morning. I usually use febreeze spring which is lovely and smells great. But its very expensive. Kitchen roll sounds so much cheaper lol
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Lovely ideas! I have done the furniture polish - by accident when dusting them anyway. I will try the fabric conditioner one too.

What do you do in summer when it's too warm for heating?
Just open the windows and let nature do its job!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
The Delicious Pancake one did make me laugh
but they sound great.
oh that would make me crave them!! not good!

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
My house always smells of fish. After seared scallops on Weds night and grilled monkfish I've decided to ban cooking fresh fish in the house.

5 days on and it still stinks!

I'm off to soak me some comfort ;o)
that is the trouble with fish! it really does tend to linger. hope the comfort works!

Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Fab tips, i was just thinking about this this morning. I usually use febreeze spring which is lovely and smells great. But its very expensive. Kitchen roll sounds so much cheaper lol
anything that saves money is fine by me!

Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Just open the windows and let nature do its job!
top tip!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
All these faux smells are very bad for our bees and for us:
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0...our_health.htm

I was getting headaches etc and my doctor advised chnaging what i used in the home to natural alternatives, which i have done and saw noticeable changes in my health.
The unnatural fragrances on clothes and in our houses attract our bees and its being looked at as a contributing factor in their decline.

To make your house smell nice, try rubbing some essential oil like lavender to your lightbulbs, every time you put them on your house will smell nice.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I love Yankee candles and the clean cotton one is lovely. Not keen on Vanilla, I find it sickly. I use candles a lot. I have tried spray air freshners (cans) but I think they leave their own 'after' smell, that is a bit stale smelling.

I have done the polish thing on the radiators, that always reminds me of my childhood, My job was to polish the oilcloth in the hall. we used Johnsons Lavender wax. Hard work, but as soon as the oven or fire was lit, there was this georgeous smell...think it has something to do with the parafin or the wax they use...always reminds me of Sunday mornings...house cleaned, dinner in the oven
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I have done the polish thing on the radiators, that always reminds me of my childhood, My job was to polish the oilcloth in the hall. we used Johnsons Lavender wax. Hard work, but as soon as the oven or fire was lit, there was this georgeous smell...think it has something to do with the parafin or the wax they use...always reminds me of Sunday mornings...house cleaned, dinner in the oven
what a lovely memory! i love it when smells can provoke a happy thought from the past.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
If you like the smell of lemons, cut one in half, I always put my in an egg cup, cut side up, sprinkle with good helping of Bicarb and leave it to do the job, the Bicarb absorbs nasty smell, and the lemon leaves the house smelling lemony and after a few visits, even friends stop asking about your weird ornament
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
If you like the smell of lemons, cut one in half, I always put my in an egg cup, cut side up, sprinkle with good helping of Bicarb and leave it to do the job, the Bicarb absorbs nasty smell, and the lemon leaves the house smelling lemony and after a few visits, even friends stop asking about your weird ornament
that's a lovely idea and all natural too! i guess you could do it with any citrus fruit. yep, i like that one alot, i'll be giving that a go! thank you!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Re the plug ins that run out hideously fast. If you have any old perfume you dont like, take off top of the scented plug on & perfume, pour perfume into plug in, put cap back on& when plugged in you get nice perfume smellies throughout your house
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >