Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Bumble Bees

I have noticed that the bumble bees have started to come out and they are bit, i was in the park the other day with Kobe and Honey on their walk and honey was scampering through the bushes like she does and i could hear buzzing and saw the bumble bees, thank goodness she didnt see them.

I dont enjoy going out with them i hate bumble bees and honey already was stung last year by wasps.
Lisab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Strange that bumble bees and honey dont get on, I know what you mean though.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lisab View Post
I think its because she chases anything that moves and the way she charges about would probably disturb a nest, thats what happened last year although it was a wasp nest she disturbed but thanks to quick actions of dog walker she was ok, just a few stings.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I was thinking that the other day. We seem to have some huge bumble bees around at the moment. Had quite a few coming in the house. Have to watch Till or she'll eat them!
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I'd be amazed if any dog came across a bumble bee nest, they are nearly always underground.
I've just had to come in from the garden because of bumble bees. My boy is getting over an operation and the bees send him leaping about
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I was really panicky when i discovered some bumble bees had made a home under my front door step - I had horrible images of the furries deciding to investigate and getting stung. Thankfully it all passed off without incident - bumble bees are the most placid of bees I believe, and what I was surprised about was that I would have been breaking the law if I had got rid of them and been liable for a huge fine! They are a fully protected species.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I'd be amazed if any dog came across a bumble bee nest, they are nearly always underground.
I've just had to come in from the garden because of bumble bees. My boy is getting over an operation and the bees send him leaping about
Im glad you said the bumble bee's nests were nearly always underground that makes me feel better, just must have been flying around in the wooded area, i wont panick as much when i take them out then, thanks.
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Bumble bees are solitary insects, too. If you have a nest. It is only occupied by the one bee.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh no I hate bumble bees! Panic time
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lisab View Post
PMSL!! Love it.

I love bees. They make honey and pollinate our country. They also fly too slow to be a real menace, unlike pesky wasps!! Wasps put my Buddhism into question every time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >