View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Ahhh a topic for me! I am soo pedantic when it comes to correct spelling. I can't even ignore typos! When i was at school i used to correct all my friends' spelling errors for fun before their work was handed in for marking. Even on msn i do it to people. It's sad but i notice every little thing. I think it's because i was reading from an early age, about 2 1/2 i think. English grammar isn't taught in schools these days so kids aren't learning the correct way to speak. A lot of GROWN ADULTS don't know the difference between effect/affect, were/we're, your/you're. As for text talk, i text the way i speak really to save time and space so instead of saying 'i did it before i went back home' i'd put 'did it b4 i went hm'. Kids' nowadays are so hard to read though! My mum tried to nosey in my younger brother's phone the other day, reading his messages but she gave up because she couldn't decipher them..hahahaa!
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Oh thank heavens I'm not the only one! I don't mind the odd spelling mistake, I make them myself, but when people make no attempt at correct spelling (and sometimes not even the right words) it drives me nuts. As for text speak on forums and in emails

Mind you I'm not as bad as some. On one forum I visit, which shall remain nameless, the members are so pedantic about spelling and grammar that if you make a mistake they start their replies with, "I think you meant... "
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tee
English grammar isn't taught in schools these days so kids aren't learning the correct way to speak.!
I can't believe they don't teach grammar in schools nowadays!!! Surely, that's the basic of any language It used to be my absolutely favourite subject at school too, and even now I can't help myself but correct people when they use the wrong grammar, it gets right up my nose!! No wonder kids are writing like they are then nowadays. Not like wot I done!Lol!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I can't believe they don't teach grammar in schools nowadays!!! Surely, that's the basic of any language It used to be my absolutely favourite subject at school too, and even now I can't help myself but correct people when they use the wrong grammar, it gets right up my nose!! No wonder kids are writing like they are then nowadays. Not like wot I done!Lol!
lolol..it's true though. I remember learning French and being good at it (i got an A ) but when it came to getting to grips with French grammar i struggled because i wasn't learning English grammar to begin with so how could i do French grammar??
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I can't believe they don't teach grammar in schools nowadays!!! Surely, that's the basic of any language
They didn't teach grammar or punctuation when I was was at school (mid 70s to early 80s), though they were fanatical about spelling.

You know this very subject was being discussed last week over at Television Without Pity (that's not the forum I mentioned earlier btw). The American's were commenting how bad grammar is in the UK. I think it started because BBC news presenters keep refering to the England team in the plural when apparantly it should be singular (eg, it should be 'the England is in training' not 'are in training')
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Well that would explain why my husband isn't very good at letter writing then, because he was at school in the 70's. His spelling is bad enough, and he always has to ask me for the correct spelling, but his grammar is pretty horrendous! He does have other qualities though, which far outweigh his letter writing skills!Lol!

I wonder what they actually learn in English lessons then? The English language is wonderful and there are a couple of people on here who definitely know how to use it, makes the posts a lot more interesting and humourous (sp??)LOL!!!! When you get old though, sometimes you just cannot find the right words you want and it's sooooo frustrating, but you get there in the end usually!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Correct use of grammer is my pet hate!!! It was my favourite subject at school, and I can't help myself picking people up on it, but I don't do that on here - wouldn't dare! You should write like wot I does!!! I hate that text chat on a forum too, keep it for the mobile
Well said! I dont mind txt talk on the mobile, which my sons are teaching me to do and understand but I must admit my mind is going full stream ahead and when writing I sometimes forget to put a word in or miss spell it or god forbid can't remember how to spell it
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 12:10 AM
That I can believe when my oldest son was in high school he wrote a paper on a trip we've done and i couldn't understand any of it but to my horror the teacher had marked it saying the trip had sounded wonderful
I went and saw the teacher with the paper and ask how she could mark it and not pick up the mistakes and her reply was they dont do that any more that its bad for the children
shekiz
New Member!
Female 

28-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I love this thread and agree with the comments made. A friend of mine is a History of Art and an English Literature teacher for 16 to 18 year olds. We have had many discussions about this. He has been told not to mark papers down for spelling or grammatical errors because none the youngsters would get a pass mark if he did. Makes you think doesn't it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 06:11 PM
It certainly does!! So, say 40 years down the line, our English language will become the new chav talk I suspect - innit!! Can you imagine that!! Politicians and professional people will be the youngers of today who sadly never learned the correct grammar, even the newscasters - God forbid!! At least it might give me a good laugh 40 years down the line, coz I'll probably need one then!!

Whilst posting, there is something else that gets right up my nose, and I may actually be wrong on this one (that'll be a first!). The word "controversey". Now, I always say controversy, but a lot of the newscasters say controversy, so I have to say it out loudly each time - my way!!!

Who's right on this one then???? Not that it'll change anything for me, I will still say it the way (I think) it should be said!
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >