Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks Bristol City Council - you just ruined my day

Now I'm as charitable as the next person however today I lost all sense of perspective and my temper when trying to get to Bristol City Airport to catch a flight to Madrid.

I assume you'll guess that I didn't make the flight and as a consequence instead of propping up the free bar that was laid on tonight in my hotel I'm here on Dogsey (although I love being here of course but would rather be in Madrid).

It was the Bristol half-marathon today - a prestigious event with apparently 15,000 runners - many people running to raise money for charity. I don't want to deny them their opportunity to do this and my anger is rather vented at the brainless organisers who shut off the main route to the airport.

Diversions in place I asked the Marshalls if I could still get to the airport - yep no problem they said. Four hours later I arrived just in time to see my flight take off. So what should have been a one hour journey turned into one of the most frustrating events of my life - I thought the M5/M6 car park was bad enough - this was just stupidity.

With racegoers collapsing left right and centre - ambulances rushing through the giant city centre carpark, diversions leading to nowhere but more diversions I had a thoroughly good look at the shops from my car window.

Whoever allowed the race organisers to close the route to the airport wants their head examined. I eventually managed to get out of Bristol via the North of the city, along the M4, down the M5 and then across the back roads - all navigated thanks to one of my team via the phone.

Easyjet did save the day though - they transferred me to a flight tomorrow free of charge - seems the plane left half empty as others were stuck in the same traffic jams.

It then took me two hours to get home again - I won't tell you what I said to a few marshalls and Sunday drivers along the way but hey I'm here and going to try again tomorrow.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

17-09-2006, 08:35 PM
awh poor you - although I don't feel too much sympathy you get to travel way more than me LOL
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:36 PM
It's all work honest!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

17-09-2006, 08:36 PM
course it is
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Awww thats awful - no wonder you are so angry - I would have been fuming too What a stupid thing to do - block a route to the airport - they should pay you some compensation for having you miss your flight. Hope you get away okay tomorrow and have a lovely holiday
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:43 PM
How frustrating! Hope tomorrow is OK and you catch your flight.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanx Foxy - but it's work not a holiday. Had hoped to squeeze in a bit of shopping tomorrow morning before I had to start but now of course I'm missing the first day of my seminar and won't arrive until after the shops shut!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by trikeschick View Post
Thanx Foxy - but it's work not a holiday. Had hoped to squeeze in a bit of shopping tomorrow morning before I had to start but now of course I'm missing the first day of my seminar and won't arrive until after the shops shut!
Ooops sorry - I presumed it was an holiday Aww thats a shame about the shopping - how long are you there for?
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Until Wednesday night - of course shopping comes second to work
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Trish - going to leave first thing in the morning and camp out at the airport just to make sure. My boss wasn't amused that I'd missed my flight and there's only one a day from Bristol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >