Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Fatty lump

just wanted some opinions my 9 yr old springer has loads of fatty lumps vets seen them and def fatty lumps shes not bothered by themn ut one on her side is about the size of a tennis ball hasnt changed in size but notice it when i have her clipped during spring and summer, shes not bothered by it and runs around like a puppy, i can have it removed but dont really want to put her under ga if she doesnt really need it what do you all think?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:42 AM
My old lad Kip was covered in them as he got older - they didn't bother him and we just left them.

Hoki has had a couple but due to the position of them, we did have them removed - one was at the back of one of her rear legs and seemed to be restricting her movement, the other was in boobs (for want of more technical term!) so the vet recommended that it was taken out just in case.

I'd say if they are not bothering her, just leave them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Angie All lumps should be check by a vet to make sure they are nothing sinister, this you have wisely done .

Fatty lumps benign 'lipoma' can grow to a large size but uness they are obstructing movement in some way they are usually left.

I have had dogs with lipomas, Amy had one on her shoulders which made her look like a hunchback but it didn't bother her at all.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:53 AM
ok thanks for your replies id ont want to put her under any stress with an op and no it doesnt restrict her just looks unsightly but i love her anyway so will just leave it
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Angie

I agree with Hali and Minihaha to leave them if they are not bothering her. Both my sisters' labrador and springer developed several fatty lumps as they grew older. They were checked by the vets and advised to leave them alone unless they bothered the dogs, which they didn't.
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2010, 11:30 AM
My parents dog had the same and a vet put a needle in it to check it! It made it get even bigger.We wished we had just left it alone,she was covered in them at the end but not bothered by them at all.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Suzi got her first fatty lump at around 7 or 8 and it was removed as a precaution. During the next few years she got a few more which we always had looked at but she didn't show any signs of them being anything to worry about so they stayed and I just thought of them as something that made her even more unique.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:52 PM
My collie Bess has a fattylump on her abdomen. It's not causing any probs so i'm leaving it alone. It's just a lipoma...totally harmless.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't worry about them, tbh. They're very common....