Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Body Language

I was discussing dogs body language with my mum recently and by picking up subtle changes, can alert you to certain behaviours before they occur.. good and bad.

I was thinking.. if it hasn't been explored before, dog savvy /experienced dog owners adding to a thread about all types of body language and the reasons behind it, maybe even photos of the behaviour. Even if we disagree.. we can explore that and learn why we disagree.

I think it may be a great way to educate new owners etc. Who could benefit from your insights.

What do you reckon?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I think a thread on body language would be an excellent subject for a new thread.

I have a Shar-Pei (she's the second one I've owned) which is a breed whose body language can be very difficult to read unless you know what to look for. For example when Georgina meets another dog she'll stand quite still completely ignoring the other dog ... most times she appears to be staring into space. I've known my previous Pei to be surrounded by several dogs all barking at her and she behaved as though they were totally invisible. In both cases the only way I could tell what was going on in my Pei's mind is/was by watching the position and movement of the tail ... if its up and wagging, no problem, but if its down the other dog(s) aren't welcome!

This indifference towards other dogs is one of the peculiarities of the breed which a first time owner might not be aware of.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Sometimes a behavior that is typical can mean different things with different dogs. Yawning is sometimes regarded as a sign of stress and a dog is trying to calm itself. So articles will suggest a dog yawning will not bite, it's just mildly uncomfortable with the presenting situation.

However our Sophie is neurotic about simply breathing. If she yawns, unless she has just been deeply asleep, it means "I am very excited in a very disagreeable way and am about to leap on something or someone".

I watch her very carefully for that sign. With Callie he gives yawns wide enough to make a lion proud...all day long. With him it means he just woke up or he's about to take another nap and nothing else.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I have to take special care with my Jade like this. With people and dogs approaching her, which is of course when she can feel the most threatened this is very important. When she sees them, immediately she locks on. I always call her name nicely.

If her ears don't respond by turning a bit and she stays locked, it's a no go and she will attack or act very unfriendly. I move away or warn off the approacher. Her tail will not be moving all usually. She is in attack mode and staying perfectly still to ambush/cheap shot the approacher.

If her ears turn, but she does not turn, check her tail, if it's wagging, go ahead, if it is not moving, it's a no go. She is in "protective" mode if she is still, and though she acknowledges me somewhat, she is likely to act very unfriendly.

If she turns her head when I call her, it's safe regardless of her tail. She took her eyes off the apporacher and feels it's safe for them to come alone, she may greet them.

On rare occasions, usually with larger dogs only, she will bark, or make a yowly noise, means she is scared and wants to go before the approacher gets close enough to hurt her.

She does not go into public places without a muzzle, so all approaches will be protected from bites. But she can crush smaller dogs and kids and she still has her feet and power, and coupled with the stress of being put into a situation that makes her upset, if she seems like she is not happy... we leave ASAP.