View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Colin you've been amazing, thanks I like the idea of giving raw organ as clicker treats - but is it possible to use it that way? I use tiny bits of cooked liver cake normally and have to have a pocketful of the stuff. I can imagine it being quite....messy, if it was tiny bits of raw liver. LOL, they'd probably love it though.

I think I'll have to pass on the garden idea - I think it'd be asking for trouble with Seth (if it was just Dharma, or just him it'd be great). Thing is, even after food as gone, if there's the smell/drips/whatever, he'll guard that, and given they both use the garden, it'd only take one missed bit for him to play holy hell with her *lol*. At the minute we even have to mop the floor where his bowl's been after feeding, because he will guard his own slobber. He's a grumpy old sod when it comes to sharing anything *sigh*. Makes life....interesting!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Put the offal bits in a freezer bag first before you put them in your pocket. When they have fiinshed you then have a spare poo bag.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Whehey, good thinking Batman! Thanks again!
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
This morning's food:

Lamb ribs (could only get hold of separate ones in Morrisons - butchers didn't have any). Went down well with both - Seth could chew them (whehey, bonus!), I suspect Dharma didn't as much as I would've liked her to (can't watch them both eat as they have to be separate).

They've since had some beef mince with a blob of yoghurt in and a teeny bit of blitzed green beans (we're talking about a desert spoon each max).

All gone well. At least we know now what to order when we get a supplier sorted!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Malady I hate to disagree with you as I always find your advice sound, however I think you may be wrong with the age thing.
Dogs (and people) can develop intolerances when eating one thing for a long time. Even real 'natural' food can be hard work for a system that is so used to being fed on dog food. I am saying 'can' as I have changed over a family of 12, 13 and 12 year old labs (3 of them) with no bother, in fact they had more energy, one of them (the reason we started) grew her blad patches back and they all smelled 100% better in only a few weeks. However I have also had a few old dogs who just could never settle on anything but dog food. I agree that natural is the better food however we have to take dogs as indivdiuals. I would not recommend a dog over the age of 6/7 to be given bones where they did not have bones in their diet before this time. Interested to hear others thoughts/experiences on this.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Seth is 9-10 so would be interested in hearing responses to above post - but maybe in a thread of its own?
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Dunno if I'm anywhere near doing this right but today they've had:

Chicken and tripe mince (AMP stuff)
Breast of lamb (whole) - Seth coped really well with this again, Dharma took her time too!
Heart and a little bit of kidney
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
When people are starting out I usually recommend that they introduce each new meat type slowly to the diet.
Eg: Chicken for the first week or two, introducing chicken organs etc as time goes on. Then moving on to say beef for eg for a week or two, slowly introducing the organs as before.

This way if there is any ill effects, you know exactly what caused it and when. Once you are up and running, then I'd mix and match as you see fit.

HTH
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, they've been having chicken for a long while now, and are used to tripe and what have you (and lamb mince), so really the only new stuff has been the heart and kidney.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Excellent, sounds like you are on top of things.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >