Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melblackpool
New Member!
Male 

14-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Help with Westie Drinking and Urinating problem

Any one any idea please I have an 8 year old westie she is full of life and eating normal but has started drinking between 2.5 and 3 pints of water a day, then she wees heself when she is asleep. She has been to the vets and had a urine and blood test that all came back ok. Any ideas please?
Thanks
Mel
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi
3 pints a day seems alot for a westie, are you sure she is weeing in her sleep or is it just leaking out?
The reason i ask because 1 of mine was leaking urine when laying down.
Is she weeing normally throughout the day? Look at the qty, length of time and speed of flow.
Does she stop and start or is a steady stream?
Feel her abdomen is it soft or hard?

I took my lad to the vets, original they thought he has stones in his bladder, which was interferring with his water works.
He had a scan done, but no stones could be found they also tested his water for calcium which would be an indicator for the stones.
He wasn't going as often and it was short burst with a slow flow, kept stopping and starting to it pointed to his bladder.
He was hospitalised as he couldn't go and the urine was building up in his bladder but couldn't pass enough out.
They did more test while emptying his bladder on a daily basis to keep the qty under control.
His medical problem is where the muscles within his bladder are not opening together to allow the consent flow of urine to be released.
After 1 week of intensive treatment of drugs, to help the muscles to relax and allow passage, he is now weeing ok.
I still have to monitor his flow and the qty of water he consumes.
It is a condition where is is on 1 drug - hypovase daily for the rest of his life, because without it the muscles wont relax.
The condition he has is rare and little is known about it, but it medical name is reflex dyssynergia.
Which is when the reflex (muscles) are not functioning as they should.
Maybe it would be wise to ask your vet to rule it out, as age can be a factor for this condition.
Hope this helps.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 10:36 AM
3 pints of water seems one hell of a lot for any dog. She is almost bound to have accidents if she is drinking that amount I would think.
I would be inclined to keep on with your vet until he finds a solution.
Good luck to you and doggie xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2008, 10:41 AM
There is some type of ratio, size of dog to qty of water,which would be classed as ok by the vet.
From when tob was getting sorted it does seem to be more than we would think as ok.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Along with the "usual" bloods, you could ask for tests for Diabetes Insipidus, not the usual diabetes and much easier controlled, does make them drink more though. There is also a condition called "Psychogenic Polydipsia" one of my Borders had this, basically they "like" drinking water. I spent over £600 10yrs ago getting that diagnosis! My dog also had a test to see if the kidneys and liver was processing urine effectively, I cant honestly remember what its called but they keep the dog for the day, and test the urine at regular intervals, perhaps an option?

Being a Westie, is it an itchy Westie? on steroids perhaps? They can make dogs drink excessively too.
melblackpool
New Member!
Male 

15-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help its off back to the vets now with all the replys will let you know how we get on.
Best wishes
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;1481627]Along with the "usual" bloods, you could ask for tests for Diabetes Insipidus, not the usual diabetes and much easier controlled, does make them drink more though. There is also a condition called "Psychogenic Polydipsia" one of my Borders had this, basically they "like" drinking water. I spent over £600 10yrs ago getting that diagnosis! My dog also had a test to see if the kidneys and liver was processing urine effectively, I cant honestly remember what its called but they keep the dog for the day, and test the urine at regular intervals, perhaps an option?

Wow I never knew that! My Loki will drink till his bowl is empty and used to pee a lot! I have to ration his water now because otherwise he will drink until he's sick.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by melblackpool View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help its off back to the vets now with all the replys will let you know how we get on.
Best wishes
Hi Mel, Welcome to Dogsey. I'm in Blackpool too. Where do you go walkies?
melblackpool
New Member!
Male 

17-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi there, Stanly park as a rule got to dash now off to vets again was just checking to see if any other ideas. Back later.