Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Jinglers (training aids)

A friend told me about a dog site by Stan Rawlinson and it seemed to have some good commonsense advice on it.
I was just curious if anyone had ever used the Jinglers that he has devised, they seem to work on the same principle as the John Fisher training discs and work on the principal of distracting the dog from whatever behaviour you don't like.
My friend has a big dog who lunges on the lead if she sees something exciting and as she has tried various harness, she was wondering if maybe these jingler things would help.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, I did attend a SR training puppy class with my girl when she was little. Was not too impressed with the jinglers, a little like the bells you have on cat collars. I would suggest that you do a Google search for SR, you will find some interesting information, which might help you make up your mind.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 08:44 PM
My mother has a huge bag of these jinglers - and I mean, a huge bag, she has about 100 or so.

They are given out free by her local Neighbourhood Watch (of which she is still a participating member at the age of 77) to attach to people's purses and handbags, so that any pickpocketers can be heard.

They are identical to the ones recommended by this chap. And yes they are also very similar to cat bells, which won't do your dog's relationship with your moggy any good if he is trained to react to the sound.

Unlike the Training Discs which were specially designed to be able to be handled without making any inadvertent noise, it might be a lot harder to silence the jinglers when not required. Just ask the pensioners in my mother's town - the staff at her local Tescos are often heard to comment "It's a bit early for Christmas!" every time they get their purses out.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Very similar to discs really. If she gets either she needs to introduce them properly so the dog understands the process and responds correctly. I believe discs come with the instructions, don't know if jinglers do.

Adam
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Why not use a positive interupter??
Same idea if used correctly, except you cant agressivly make a kissy noise - but I have seen training discs and stuff dropped ON the dog
http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup#p/u/14/TBvPaqMZyo8
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2010, 09:37 PM
They do come with instructions and are supposed to be attached to the lead, so not really much like discs which are generally thrown on the floor. I don't see the point of the jingler cos it jingles all the time when the dog is moving, we have it attached to the back door key so the cat can stretch up and jingle it when he wants out. The discs I just dislike.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I have to say I'm not quite sure what the purpose of them is. He explains a lot of things on his website but he's pretty cagey about them. I don't understand how the tone of bells that are going to constantly be making noise when the dog is in motion is going to train the dog to do anything. It's not like a whistle that you can blow at certain points.

(And I'm a classical musician too, like Rawlinson says he is, and it still makes no sense!)

Regarding the training discs, I thought those were essentially to be tossed at the dog to startle it out of whatever you wanted to stop it doing, which seems harsh and scary to me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2010, 08:18 AM
There is no magic bit of kit that will instantly make your dog behave beautifully. It all comes down to training. Use reward-based, consistent training every time you leave the house and the dog will respond in time.
Tell your friend next time the dog lunges to turn and walk away. Reward when he`s calm. Go back towards the target. Repeat if he lunges. He`ll get the idea eventually.