Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tompkins1978
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2012, 02:56 PM

New puppy of 9 months very underweight

Hi! We already have a 5 yo ESS bitch called Millie who is beautiful. We just got another ESS dog aged 9 months called Charlie. Charlie came from a lovely family who seemed to be very attentive to his needs and care. They rehomed him due to work commitments. My concerns are his weight. He's very thin and you can feel all his ribs and hips etc. they said he has a very delicate stomach and have tried to feed him a variety of dried and wet food. They eventually found tinned pedigree chum stayed in him the longest. He has two whole tins a day. I'm not sure if this is right or not? I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on fattening him up? He's very active and otherwise lovely and I'm hoping Charlie and Millie will be friends! Thank you!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I would be taking him to the vet for a once over and maybe check if he needs worming.

Personally I dont rate pedigree tins as a good food.

How long have you had him and what have you fed him since he has been with you
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2012, 04:44 PM
What do you feed your other dog?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I am presuming that he has had a full check up by your vet and all is well?

Pedigree tins are mostly just water with very little meat content which is probably one reason why he is so lean.

There are many foods that are far superior in quality and nutrition compared to Pedigree. As others have asked, what foods has he been on previously?

Tripe is good for putting on weight.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Burns Pork and Potato has been good for spaniel puppies with sensitive tummys IME.

Though I would nip him to the vet for a check up and perhaps a worming? just in case x
leilateggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Raw tripe worked well for my dog, who had a really poorly tummy. rabbits with guts in to give the 'good bugs' a kick start.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I would make sure that he does not need worming and take a stool sample to be tested for giardia etc.

I would also ask for a blood sample to be taken to check for anemia etc. Both of these tests can check for malabsorption issues.

Having said that you do not say if he is entire or not and it is entirely reasonable for a pup of this age to be ribby, they go through patches of one day looking too fat, tall, short, thin in the first year.

So there may be nothing to be concerned about particularly.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2012, 11:47 PM
What they said. Is it possible to see a picture?

How is his coat? If his nutrition is suffering, it may well show there. How about his energy? Is he playful? Does he sleep well? Some dogs are just thin-- it takes ages for them to fill out. I think Laszlo was three before you stopped being able to count his ribs from ten feet away, and he was fine.

If he has a delicate stomach, I'd actually steer clear of Pedigree Chum... it gives my iron-stomached mutt the squits, and personally I don't like the way it smells. When mine were younger and had bouts of iffy tummy, I gave them eggy brown rice: brown rice, steamed veggies, tossed around in a wok with an egg or several (not small dogs, and I would often share this with them). It's easy on the stomach, nutritious and easy to throw together if you have a little time.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2012, 05:54 AM
My ten month old collie looks like a hat rack! He is very skinny but is fed twice as much as my other collies. He has masses of energy and is otherwise very healthy and I know he will eventually fill out.
Tompkins1978
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Thank you so much for all your responses. We only rescued him yesterday so have not had time to take him to the vets. The previous owners gave him a worming tablet but it was a shop bought one, not a vet one so I'm not sure if it is as effective? When we fed him last night (and this morning) he wolfed down his dinner so fast in about 3 mouthfuls!! This may be though because eh was worried my other dog would eat it!

We feed our other springer Bakers biscuits and she is fine. Previous owners said any type of biscuit meal gives him an upset tummy. We found yesterday even giving him dog treats for rewards has given him the runs.

They had taken him to the vets about his weight but apparently they said that he'll fill out in time.

Maybe today I get some tripe and mix it with some brown rice and egg and see if that helps. I wasn't sure if I should introduce a lunchtime meal or just increase his portion size at breakfast and dinner time?

I'll upload some pictures this morning of him.

Coat wise he's very shiny across his back and has lots of energy. He slept in the kitchen last night and was good as gold. Didn't hear a peep from him all night and he didn't mess on the floor or chew anything up in the night!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >