Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 06:54 AM

New puppy Kennel cough!

Hi All.

As some of you may know we got our new pup yesterday, she fab and settling in pretty well. Anyhow this morning i was woken up to not a puppy wanting to out but Noah coughing!!! The others seem ok but what i want to know is could he have caught it from her since last night? Also what do people to use to treat? i have read about honey and steam but what childrens med is it people give and also how much? He's 56kgs

Please help xx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear Noah is coughing and no he couldn't have caught it over night it usually takes about 7-10 days to develop. I used children's Benylin in the past but as you have a young pup I think I'd phone the vet and ask for advice.

Hope nobody else gets it
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your response i thought it was very quick! Sounds about right i started taking them out to the park where there is a big group of people who go with there dogs everyday at the same time about 8days ago typical. right well will have to keep puppy seperated then. Can they only catch it once the dog starts to cough?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
Thanks for your response i thought it was very quick! Sounds about right i started taking them out to the park where there is a big group of people who go with there dogs everyday at the same time about 8days ago typical. right well will have to keep puppy seperated then. Can they only catch it once the dog starts to cough?
I think the incubation period is around 3 -7 days before a dog starts to cough.. so he wont have picked it up from pup.

Good idea to keep pup away from him till he stops coughing, but would also speak to vet , as KC can be extremely nasty even fatal in young puppies, so best to be vigilant where pup is concerned, any sign of a cough see vet straight away.!!
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Jackbox will def take her to the vets if she starts to cough, going to keep an eye on Noah and if he gets any worse will be taking him to the vets too